Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-09-2020, 02:34 AM

Default Slate Digital VMR

HI , i am an experienced musician but a relative novice when it comes to Pro Tools. I have been looking into Slate digital's VMR plugin software but i am am not savvy enough to know if this is the right move. Can anyone please let me know if this is a worthwhile product to incorporate into my system or are the Plugins that come with PT just as good ? Cheers, GJM
Old 06-09-2020, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Slate Digital VMR

PT plugins do the job but dont really add colour or ”analog emulations” like UAor Slate etc

What PT version do you use as it is somewhat important.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-09-2020, 03:53 AM

HI , thanks for your reply, i believe it is 12.3
Old 06-09-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJmoulder View Post
HI , thanks for your reply, i believe it is 12.3
Great so not Pro Tools first right? The free version then. The reason I asked is that PT First is limited to non 3rd party plugins and only plugins bought from Avid store so thats why since Slate wouldn’t have opened in the free PTF version.

If I were you I would demo a few different options like Slate WMR and some PluginAlliance and maybe some KUSH Audio etc and listen to the difference in sound and pick the ones that sounds good to your music and ears as there are thousands of emulations of say a 1176/LA2-A and so on so best way to make sure would be to demo some compressors and EQ’s and put the equivalent Avid plugins on the same track and mute and unmute the plugins to get a better feel for the different tonal capabilities before you buy.

Slate has the Everything Bundle where you get A LOT of good stuff like vocal/guitar/bass stuff and a few really great sounding Synth instruments etc and i think we pay 14-15 dollars a month and get all them and Great tutorial videos from big name producers and mixers and you learn a lot from them by seeing them using the same bundle and you can download the sessions free included and follow along and making your own tweaks so new ones added all the time aswell as all new additional new plugins are included in the Bundle subscription.

My opinion of course and all I can say is we use more analog hardware and UA plugins but we do use our Slate bundle quite often too.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM

Thanks Christopher, that info is much appreciated. I reckon it would be easy to fall into the trap of assuming that more plugins/software will only make things better and its not always the case so im trying not to just dive in. I will try and demo some stuff as you suggest and see how it goes. Once again, thanks for your help , Cheers, George
Old 06-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJmoulder View Post
Thanks Christopher, that info is much appreciated. I reckon it would be easy to fall into the trap of assuming that more plugins/software will only make things better and its not always the case so im trying not to just dive in.
Wise words there.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Do you mean ONLY the VMR, or are you thinking of the Slate Everything Bundle? The VMR can cover a lot of ground. I could probably do most mixes with nothing else(besides the Waves JJP Drum plugin that I can't live without). If you go for the Everything bundle, the delay and reverb plugins could do almost anything you need(I'd use them a lot more but for habits with previous purchases). I still lean on Echoboy(out of habit) but have dropped several reverb plugins as Slate offers so much. VMR could easily replace most channel needs and has replaced some of my bus processing. And one more fact that might tip the scales; VMR works with zero added latency(so tracking with it is never an issue)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2020, 04:06 AM

while the PT included plugins are quite good, I find the Slate stuff pretty indispensable. the delay & reverb's are excellent, EQ's great and compression darn close to perfect. I just had the VMR for some time, but last year upped to the Everything Bundle and am quite satisfied. that coupled with a few Waves that I've used forever and the PT plugins and I don't need anything else.

of course YMMV based on taste and your pocketbook...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 06-17-2020, 05:04 PM

I have the slate everything bundle, not bad.. but I've been in love with the following plugins companies lately. which have some pretty amazing stuff

Kush Audio
Oaktsound
Sound toys
Flabfilter

that's my 2 cents

Last edited by Progear; 06-23-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM

FlabFilter Yes, I use Pro Q 3 a lot! But Slate recently added an EQ plugin that looks like a serious contender(once again, being a creature of habit, I'm not in a hurry to change)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave