Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

Something I've wondered after updating my studio and using PT 2020 for a while now. Is Avid behind the curve? There's a lot of other DAWs out there and a quick "best of" google search often times lists PT at the bottom. I've personally been using PT for over 18 years now and learning something new just wouldn't make sense. I did get Logic Pro X at the same time I updated PT and honestly if I was just starting out again, I'd probably take that over PT. It's way cheaper, much more intuitive and easier to get an idea down. I do understand PT's appeal though. For someone like me who has grown up with in studios using multi-track for many years, PT is the closest thing to a real studio experience with a DAW and still the industry standard. I'm not sure that is appealing to many now that are younger and just starting out. PT might just be pricing themselves right out of the game. But more than that, it seems overly complicated by newer DAWs standards. Given all of the other options out there, I'm just curious to see how other long time PT users feel.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

The opposite is the case.
PT concentrates on the really important things.
While some other DAWs have a gazillion bells and whistles (that often don't work as expected) PT really - I mean really (!) - gets the basics right.
If a new function or haardware arrives it is usually really working well.

I switched over from Nuendo after working with the platform from version 3-8 because I just simply could not bear the amount of mind blowing show stoppers they were introducing.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:19 PM

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.
You can't make statements like that.

Pro Tools misses out on some of the most basic functionality, like proper delay compensation and MIDI. Even the current version is full of long-standing bugs that just never get resolved, despite all the feedback from the user base. The forum is full of it.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee123 View Post
... curious to see how other long time PT users feel.
(Old pro here...) Many years using tape, a few years on Sonic Solutions, and finally switched to Pro Tools version 5. I've (briefly) checked out several other DAWs over the years. While one DAW might implement certain functions better than another DAW, all things considered I'll stick with PT.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-11-2020, 03:34 PM

Admittedly, no one set of tools is perfect for everyone. But Pro Tools is still the center of the studio here.

Whenever I try to use something else, I always come running back.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-11-2020, 04:06 PM

Yeah, it's behind the curve. Over the last few years other DAWs have continued to innovate and develop, while Avid mostly stood still. And now most of the others have passed PT by. That doesn't mean anything if PT works the way you want, so don't worry much about it.

Freeze was a great addition a couple of years ago, and the addition of Folders is, in my opinion, a very nice thing too. Those were two very big features that others have had for quite a while. There's a long list of features other DAWs have added that Avid is lagging behind.

Quote:
Something I've wondered after updating my studio and using PT 2020 for a while now. Is Avid behind the curve? There's a lot of other DAWs out there and a quick "best of" google search often times lists PT at the bottom. I've personally been using PT for over 18 years now and learning something new just wouldn't make sense. I did get Logic Pro X at the same time I updated PT and honestly if I was just starting out again, I'd probably take that over PT. It's way cheaper, much more intuitive and easier to get an idea down. I do understand PT's appeal though. For someone like me who has grown up with in studios using multi-track for many years, PT is the closest thing to a real studio experience with a DAW and still the industry standard. I'm not sure that is appealing to many now that are younger and just starting out. PT might just be pricing themselves right out of the game. But more than that, it seems overly complicated by newer DAWs standards. Given all of the other options out there, I'm just curious to see how other long time PT users feel.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I can list about 10 plugins off the top of my head that cost more than pro tools
does. Yep Logic costs less than pro tools Luna cost even less than Logic too.
BTW where is Apple's phone number for Tech Support?
Old 04-12-2020, 05:54 AM

I think people bash PT because of subscription cost and because it is the leader in the industry. Other DAW's work well and there is no best just what is best for the user. Everyone has their opinion and complaints can be found for anything. I enjoy using PT and I am familiar with it.
MAC OSX Big Sur
Old 04-12-2020, 06:26 AM

Yea PT is behind the curve but it still does some things the best like grouping and quickpunch.

That said, reading the sentence, “I've personally been using PT for over 18 years now and learning something new just wouldn't make sense“, makes me want to puke. I think we should all have the attitude that learning something new always makes sense. Artists, musicians, and producers have a constant need to always be learning new skills and techniques, so why not invest the time to learn a backup DAW? It will expand your skillset and it may even save you if you run into a show stopping problem with Pro Tools. With so many free and paid tutorials available online, there really is no excuse.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Behind the curve? Yes sir! Features that get implemented as 'new' have been in other DAWs for a decade. But I still love this software, warts and all.