Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-12-2019, 05:42 AM

Default Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

Hi everyone.
Just got into the community and would thanks the administrators to allow me in.
I started facing some issues with my Eleven Rack or MacBook due to the new macOS Catalina.
Until last thursday, my Eleven Rack was running perfectly with macOS Mojave; nevertheless, unawarely I updated the macOS Mojave to macOS Catalina and the eleven rack stopped working.
Let me explain what exactly happened:
After update to macOS Catalina immediately I desintalled the Eleven Rack software, downloaded a new driver and installed it.
All worked perfectly, the driver ran normally, the software was installed, the interface (Elevan Rack) is recognized by the system and my DAW (logic pro X). However, when I try to play the DAW, no sound is emitted whatsoever. To continue my tests, I tried to connect to any YouTube video and it has not worked as well. Moreover, the YouTube video does not run unless I change to the internal speakers of my computer.
Once I realised that something was wrong I started looking for information related to the compatibility between the new macOS Catalina and the Eleven rack, but could not read anything about it, but about the Pro-Tools. In fact, the Avid webpage is highlighting: The user shall not update to macOS Catalina, but nothing related to the Eleven Rack.
Hence, I was wondering whether something that I have done or am doing is wrong, whether there is something else that can be done, or if the Eleven Rack definitely will not work at all with the new macOS Catalina.
Any idea guys? Support? It will be highly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

Do you have a system backup? You should revert to that if you do.

If not, I’d wipe the drive, install Mojave and all your apps again. Obviously back up your data.

Lesson learnt the hard way unfortunately. It’s not currently supported. Also, is the 11R discontinued now? I honestly can’t remember. If so, the likelihood of current driver support is very unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Eleven Rack End of Support is in 2024. So hopefully a driver update will be coming eventually, Avid is not typically fast with driver updates, so don’t hold your breath.

Official End of support dates are: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates

Really hope you had a clone/backup of your system drive.

I am not aware of anybody doing serious playing around/any guesses if there is anyway to get stuff running. No way I am going to Catalina any time soon.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Gents

Your prompt response and support are pretty much appreciated.

I will honestly cross my fingers for the driver to be soon up dated so I can continue using such amazing device.

Should you have further news that eventually is not yet disclosed to the public, I will be grateful and thankful if you guys can provide me with.

Many thanks once again.

Cheers

G.Jacobucci
Old 10-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guijacobucci View Post
Gents

Your prompt response and support are pretty much appreciated.

I will honestly cross my fingers for the driver to be soon up dated so I can continue using such amazing device.

Should you have further news that eventually is not yet disclosed to the public, I will be grateful and thankful if you guys can provide me with.

Many thanks once again.

Cheers

G.Jacobucci

If you need to use your system, I would highly suggest doing what I said in my first post.

When BScout said AVID aren’t fast with software updates, he wasn’t joking. You could be waiting 6 months or more. Can you be without a working interface for that long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Thanks Mate...
I am still trying to make it works.
It is all normal, the computer recognize the interface, the DAW recognize the interface, but it doesn't emit sound through the monitors...
There should be some technical issues a part of the interface´s driver updating or system problem.
IN any case, I appreciate your tips and, in case m y efforts are in vain, I´ll follow your advise.

Thanks once again.

GJ
Old 12-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Eleven Rack w/Catalina?

Anyone get the 11R to work with Catalina?
Old 12-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Eleven Rack is not supported in Catalina as an IO device. I upgraded, and can run Pro Tools 2019.12 on my MacBook Pro through internal speakers or through a 2nd Gen Scarlett 2i2, but the Eleven Rack gives the dreaded solid blue "stop" and flashing green "play" buttons.

I'd hold off unless you have another IO interface that is qualified for Catalina. I know the Eleven Rack is supposed to have support until 2024, but unclear when Avid will release new drivers for it.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 12-20-2019, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack w/Catalina?

Nope. Drivers aren't updated and will not work. I installed 2019.12 in Mojave, and 11 Rack worked fine. Updated to Catalina, and Eleven Rack doesn't work - but my internal speakers work fine, as does an older 2nd Gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Since EOS for 11R is 2024, it's safe to assume they will update the drivers, but I would imagine it wouldn't be until after NAMM given it's lower on the priority list than existing interfaces.

Here's Avid's page and looks like they've made it a sticky in this forum:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

Admins - can you confirm that given EOS is 2024 there is a plan to update the drivers for Catalina at some point, or is this more letting us know Eleven Rack is still supported, but only through Mojave? Difference being waiting for updated drivers to continue using as a main interface vs. purchasing an interface from someone else.

thanks.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones

Last edited by nedorama; 12-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:50 PM

You are unlikely to get a reply. Avid generally does not confirm future releases/support info. But given EOL is 4 years away, then I would hope the expectation is very hight that yes at some point the lovely orange box thingy will get updated drivers. Now to more useful, what does "some point" mean? You actually want Avid to set a timeframe... which I'll be surprised if they do. This is standard behavior for Avid, who has always done a worse job of providing updated drivers than many (but not all) third party interface vendors--one reason I'm glad to see them exit the consumer interface business, you have to approach any upgrade very carefully.