Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 AM

Default Re: New PC, crackling audio on playback when dragging windows inside PT

Make sure Windows is set to use the onboard soundcard and NOT the Focusrite as that need to be free for PT ONLY!

Very important.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-02-2020, 04:54 AM

I worked through all the optimization stuff and have PT as the only thing using the Focusrite. Still got the same issues.

As an aside, something I did caused the Focusrite to no longer produce any sounds at all from Windows, even when it is selected in windows and indeed, even if it is the only audio device present in the system. It still makes sound for Pro Tools...

I haven't even tried recording or bouncing to disk, but as long as I don't have any windows open on top of PT, it seems to be quiet and static free with the one change I made to the windows settings to "hide window contents when you drag a window around."

So, I guess I'll try some recording and bouncing and see how that goes.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:57 PM

I suspect a graphics driver or card may be the issue. Have you updated the graphics driver? Do you have any other graphics card around to try?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2020, 02:44 PM

I do and it's on my list of stuff to try at some point. The fact that it does it when it's trying to draw stuff calls the card or the driver out to me. The drivers are up to date, FWIW.

I've managed to do some recording the past few days.. but it's kind of a pain. Any scrolling motion of the edit window seems to create the problem, so I've got to remember to minimize it or hop over to the mix window before clicking "record." The noise does not seem to make it into the bounced files, so that at least is a relief.

I discovered today that it is not solely Pro Tools-only phenomenon.. after uploading a file to soundcloud, I was editing the description and noticed that as I was playing the song.. if the edit overlay was present, the sound crackled horribly, just as it does in Pro Tools.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurld View Post
I do and it's on my list of stuff to try at some point. The fact that it does it when it's trying to draw stuff calls the card or the driver out to me. The drivers are up to date, FWIW.

I've managed to do some recording the past few days.. but it's kind of a pain. Any scrolling motion of the edit window seems to create the problem, so I've got to remember to minimize it or hop over to the mix window before clicking "record." The noise does not seem to make it into the bounced files, so that at least is a relief.

I discovered today that it is not solely Pro Tools-only phenomenon.. after uploading a file to soundcloud, I was editing the description and noticed that as I was playing the song.. if the edit overlay was present, the sound crackled horribly, just as it does in Pro Tools.
Latest GPU driver is not always the best. If stuck it may be worth looking at what they have available for download. But I'd also try swapping GPUs asap.

You do have your Mbox pro dedicated to whatever DAW/App you are usign at any time right? You should have Windows sound set up to use a separate sound card, like your PC internal sound...

----

That other apps are having this issue means I would pay less attention to the comments below... but come back to them is stuck.

You did all the CPU tweaks. Would be good for you to clearly list exactly what you did. e.g.
Did you disabled hyper threading
Did you disabled c-state etc.
Did you set affinity like lots of folks have been talking about here recently. (e.g. see http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2568279)

"I did everything" type claims tells us actually almost nothing.

For some folks and workloads hyperthreading helps, for some hypertheading hurts, for some hyperthreading helps with affinity set... can hirt otherwise. So while some things are obvious "set this, like c-state" others may need experimentation.

And you are absolutely certain you have remote Avid telemetry disabled?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-06-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:02 PM

Thanks for continuing to follow up on this. I may have solved it, finally.

"I did everything" means -everything- that was in the list of things to do from Avid, as well as trying various other suggestions made here. Nothing I tried really made any difference except telling windows to not draw stuff inside windows I was dragging around, and even that did not solve the issue of having other apps open on top of PT, or indeed, even it drawing its own Edit window when I was actively recording.

But, all that is moot as I may have actually discovered the cause of the problem. It is indeed video card related. The Radeon 5700 XT has a known issue where it tends to make audio noise (and sometimes audible noise from the card itself) when it runs in a PCIe 4.0 slot. Which is odd, since it is a PCIe 4.0 card. But setting the slot to 3.0 in the BIOS (instead of auto) causes the noise to go away completely. I am typing this reply while listening to audio from PT and it is pleasantly static-free.

Anecdotally, there may be a work-around driver-wise by rolling back to a version from last year. I -think- leaving it set to 3.0 should be fine, though.