How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-26-2020, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Question about sound interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB View Post
Thanks for trivializing my issue. I've been doing this stuff for 50 years, probably longer than you've been alive. If I were as dismissive of others as you've been toward me, I wouldn't have had the success I've enjoyed. I had a simple question. There are ways you could have answered it without being a jerk.
Chill out. You're corresponding with one of the most knowledgeable people on here in Darryl Ramm. Trust him when he says you'e overcomplicating things. What worked 50 years ago in the analog world doesn't necessarily work in the digital world. There are people here who have done both and while some processes do work there are some that don't.

Darryl is NOT being a jerk or dismissive - he's just telling you the truth in a direct manner. Can't handle it then what can I say? A longer cable would solve your problem cheaply. A slightly more expensive option is to get a mic splitter box from Radial Engineering and split the audio from the mic so that one leg goes to your interface and the other to the mixer. Done.

QAPLA!
Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 AM

-|- well said Jack!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-26-2020, 08:55 AM

If my problem could be handled with just a longer USB cable, I would consider that a more than acceptable solution (I think). Just one question:

I've used longer USB cables with sound interfaces before and there hasn't been an issue. But in those cases, I never used the 48V mic pre-amp option on the sound interface. Are you telling me that having a longer USB cable won't be an issue when using the 48V mic pre? (I'm not entirely sure that a long enough cable exists in this particular configuration, but I'd be willing to check.)

BTW, the M-Audio device that I'm using sounds fantastic and has never been an issue. I wouldn't, however, trust that its mic pre-amp would be as good as the one in the Focusrite device.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Phantom power has nothing to do with USB cable length, there is a conversion from 5V anyway
Old 06-26-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandB View Post
If my problem could be handled with just a longer USB cable, I would consider that a more than acceptable solution (I think). Just one question:

I've used longer USB cables with sound interfaces before and there hasn't been an issue. But in those cases, I never used the 48V mic pre-amp option on the sound interface. Are you telling me that having a longer USB cable won't be an issue when using the 48V mic pre? (I'm not entirely sure that a long enough cable exists in this particular configuration, but I'd be willing to check.)

BTW, the M-Audio device that I'm using sounds fantastic and has never been an issue. I wouldn't, however, trust that its mic pre-amp would be as good as the one in the Focusrite device.
So why not use the Focusrite for everything? There's no technical reason not to. Did you even read what I wrote earlier?

QAPLA!
Old 06-26-2020, 11:23 AM

Nothing that follows is meant to be insulting or condescending in any way

At the risk of taking a verbal beating, please consider a few things:
#1-Pros generally don't use USB mics. The use U87's, SM-7B's RE-20's, etc.
#2-A USB mic will work as a Pro Tools "audio engine", as long as it also includes an output(many do have a headphone output on the mic).
#3-Pro Tools has certain requirements(whether we like it or not). If you used a Mac computer, you might well be able to configure an "aggregate IO config" where you could use 1 interface for input and the other for output. Sadly, us Windows folks don't get that option. It forces a choice for each of us to make.
#4-If you are not willing to work within the requirements of Pro Tools(like using a single audio interface), then don't use Pro Tools. With all the options for DAW software, just choose one that works the way you prefer. Since you work with video, Nuendo would seem like a logical option
#5-Since I am unfamiliar with Twisted Wave, why is it so preferable over recording VO in Pro Tools?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave