Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-20-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Mac updated to Catalina, now PT won't open. Need help and answers to a few questions

I logged into my.avid and it says my software updates expired in 2017. Does this mean I really have to pay subscribe for a year and pay $60 bucks a month just to be able to get a version that is compatible? I don't want anything new, I just want the pos to open without having to downgrade macOS and jack everything else up. Is there really no other way?

Another question related. Under My Products on Pro Tools Ultimate it says "Perpetual Product". To the right where it says my Software Updates + Support Plan expired in 2017 the drop down says "Move to a subscription" and the only options I have are
  • 1-Year Subscription Crossgrade, Paid Monthly
  • 1-Year Subscription Crossgrade, Paid Upfront
  • and 3-Year Subscription Crossgrade, Paid Upfront

tf is this? Does this mean the only way I can use Pro Tools now is if I pay for it every month??? If I've already bought it, why do I have to give it up and move to a subscription?? Can someone tell me what is going on?
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Mac updated to Catalina, now PT won't open. Need help and answers to a few questi

First off why did you upgrade to Catalina? If things were running smoothly then you shouldn't have. Did you not pay attention to the compatibility chart?

You do have options. If you have a working clone of your system you can always go back. You do have a clone right? Your other option is to find a reseller that has a reinstatement plan. I believe Sweetwater still has them. This will get you a permanent license asset along with a year's tech support & program updates. Currently $299 at Sweetwater. It will also cost you $199/year to keep the support plan/updates going if you want.

All this has been discussed multiple times here.

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Mac updated to Catalina, now PT won't open. Need help and answers to a few questi

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First off why did you upgrade to Catalina? If things were running smoothly then you shouldn't have. Did you not pay attention to the compatibility chart?

You do have options. If you have a working clone of your system you can always go back. You do have a clone right? Your other option is to find a reseller that has a reinstatement plan. I believe Sweetwater still has them. This will get you a permanent license asset along with a year's tech support & program updates. Currently $299 at Sweetwater. It will also cost you $199/year to keep the support plan/updates going if you want.

All this has been discussed multiple times here.
I didn't by choice. I didn't realize auto update on this thing was on and for the past year I've been working on a design project with apps that are compatible with Catalina, so I never really paid it any nevermind until now that the project has wrapped and I'm going back into PT.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 06-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Ducking things happen when you don't pay attention. Your options are downgrading OS to compatible one, finding a dealer that can sell you a reinstatement code, or crossgrade to subscription.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Ducking things happen when you don't pay attention. Your options are downgrading OS to compatible one, finding a dealer that can sell you a reinstatement code, or crossgrade to subscription.
This crossgrade thing is what I don't get. It says I have:
Perpetual Product
Pro Tools | Ultimate Software ExpertPlus Support

But my only options are to move to a subscription, where I get a warning that says "Please note: When selecting the “Crossgrade” option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan."

Does this really mean I'm giving up Pro Tools that I bought and being forced to now pay monthly just to use PT???
Old 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Sure a several years old version of Pro Tools will not run on the very latest macOS. That is well noted in the compatibility tables. If you don't want to deal with Avid's current licensing you should not upgrade, hopefully you did not just upgrade your production system and can reboot back to your old install, or worse case have a backup to roll back to. (edit: nope I see you shot yourself in the head by not following the Pro Tools optimization docs and disabling auto upgrade).

you are on HD with a Omni Digilink interface, which forces you to go with Ultimate even if you do not need any of the software features of Ultimate, and since it looks like you only have an Omni, one option you have is to get off HD/Ultimate and off Digilink, sell the Omni and go Pro Tools standard with a CoreAudio (Thunderbolt or USB) interface. That will cost you but it gets you out of longer term more expensive Ultimate subscriptions. Or maybe get off Pro Tools all together?

There may not be compelling reasons to upgrade from the Pro Tools HD version you are on, plugin processing was improved. Pro Tools standard users have been relatively better looked after with features spilling down from HD etc. than HD/Ultimate users. If you need the latest macOS for other reasons then dual booting or buying a separate Mac, or switching DAWs may all be options.

These Avid licensing ********* have been going on for years, and has been discussed here and in the user community a lot, so it is pretty difficult to see how you missed it. And a quick web search would have turned up very helpful stuff like this: (edit corrected link for the needed renewal link:) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan.

Which gets to the bottom line: Call an experienced dealer, like Sweetwater or Vintage King, talking live to sales rep will help explain your options much better than you will sort out yourself trying to stumble around the Avid store. And if these folks give you wrong advice they usually will make it good. There is also the question of a needing a Digilink license, which you can read about on DUC or ask the sales rep to explain.

Now all this stuff you are worrying about is often the simpler part, the complex part is actually doing these major upgrades and getting Pro Tools running reliably. And for that the worst thing to do is an insitu macOS upgrade. (edit: But that is what you done here). If there was a reason I had to be on Catalina, and the current known restrictions (with video) and *possible* reports of some CPU flakiness with 2020.5 and Catalina were not too much worry... then I would install macOS Catalina on a spare disk partition or new drive, install the free 30 day Pro Tools Ultimate trial (I think that is 2020.5 by now) and test that works OK, then install plugins etc, and see if all this works with my sessions... and then and only then would I consider buying any license upgrades. And then at some point I would clone that new install over my old install.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:55 PM

Just to be clear PT Ultimate and HD is $999 reinstatement and not $299 as thats for non HD versions.

And if you do subscription you loose your perpetual license and PT will stop working when you stop paying the subscription fee. So yes you basically give away the investment just to get to pay monthly or yearly subscription again for something you already paid for.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-20-2020, 01:37 PM

I corrected my Sweetwater link above to the correct lower cost $999 lapsed renewal one.

That's the ****** correct one for Pro Tools 12 with a lapsed support plan
Old 06-20-2020, 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone. Another question: if I were to get the subscription that says I would have to turn in my perpetual license, would I have to pay every month for the whole year or could I pay for a month for a project, then not pay until I need to use it again or would I be tied into a monthly payment that I can't cancel?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:51 PM

Yes you can subscribe monthly, but the price is higher for monthly commitment than if you commit to annual subscription (paid monthly).