Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thossie View Post
Thanks to all for the info.
Questions for Ned, I since I have Eleven Rack with a captive version of PT, can I download the Eleven plugin with the same code and will the plugins work with GarageBand (Mac) or only the captive PT?

Thanks.
Avid plugins (of all types) only work in Pro Tool. And even then you have to pay attention to the details since there are RTAS, TDM, AAX-32, and AAX-64 plugins just within the Pro Tools family, and they are not all compatible with all Pro Tools versions.

There are different Eleven plugins, you might already have the very limited Eleven Free plugin for example included "for free". And there are multiple paid version of Eleven, most importantly the current Eleven Mk II that corresponds to the later Elevern Rack which included the "expansion pack" amp sims.

All these you need to purchase (for possibly more than you paid for the Eleven Racl) or are included as part of the Pro Tools Complete Plugin bundles subscription. Which also all gets you many of the effects pedals from the Eleven Rack. Owning an Eleven Rack gets you *nothing* to do with these plugins (there might have been a promotion at one time to get some pedal plugins, not sure what that was a part of).

"Captive" Pro Tools, you mean Pro Tools 8 LE that came with the Eleven Rack? That is so old that Eleven Mk II does not support the RTAS plugin used by Pro Tools 8 (current Pro Tools uses AAX-64).
Old 06-07-2020, 07:22 PM

That’s is what I thought.
I guess I’m not done spending yet.
And yes, it is PT 8LE and old.
I want to be able to use my 11R as interface for my Mac.
Thought I could integrate the 11R license to Mac.
Should have known better.

Thanks for great info!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thossie View Post
That’s is what I thought.
I guess I’m not done spending yet.
And yes, it is PT 8LE and old.
I want to be able to use my 11R as interface for my Mac.
Thought I could integrate the 11R license to Mac.
Should have known better.

Thanks for great info!
So my advice for making progress...

The Eleven Rack is a pretty nice processor/sim, at the price point it's frigging great. But if you want to spend more there are lot of other impressive choices out there, especially at the highend with Fractal and Kempler. And say if you want very high gain sims, or want to use it for live performances I think the Fractal is a much better choice.

The benefit of Pro Tools with the Eleven Rack is that it mutes the built-on monitoring path, no other DAW does that, and so other DAWS can be a pain for recording with the Eleven Rack... but it can work.

The Eleven Rack is a limited audio interface, if you want to do much recording, and so hanging the eleven Rack off your another interface, ideally digitally via SPDIF or AES/EBU, is a common way of using these. And as driver support runs out, that is where many will end up. Not a bad place to be. And using an interface from a leading interface vendor is better than relying on driver suport from Avid... esp. for thier "prosumer" products... whicht he Elven Rack is really the last such product standing as Avid finally (smartly) decided to exit that market. If you want to purchase anotehr interface to hang the Eleven Rack off from... folks hre can help with suggestions, if you describe what yoru needs are.

Now personally I like the Eleven plugins and think Eleven Mk II is great. And the Complete Plugin bundle is a good value annual subscription, if you are on a modern version of Pro Tools.

If you don't want to invest in Pro Tools, don't. There are many other DAWs and Garage band (seriously) and Logic Pro are great on the Mac. And come out of the box with some amp and pedal sim plugins.

And there are many great other amp sim plugins to choose from... besides Eleven, I like PositiveGrid Bias (https://www.positivegrid.com). And unlike Eleven third party amp sim plugins usually support multiple DAWs.

But if you do want to work in Pro Tools, then I would upgrade your Pro Tools version and look at the Complete Plugin subscription to get Eleven Mk II and the pedal plugins. That can give you a great workflow when working with an Eleven Rack.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:01 AM

Sensible advice from Darryl. FWIW - I’ve tried SO many software amp sims, so many modelers (AXE FX, etc.) The Eleven algorithms are my favorite for my bread-n-butter tones (Marshall Plexi, Fender Blackface). I’ve done exactly what he suggests: The PT annual maint & support package comes with the entire Eleven plugin suite - sounds identical provided you have a solid instrument DI. One of the over-looked/under-rated features of the Eleven Rack is the variable input impedance options - makes a BIG difference for tone and playing ‘feel’ imo.
Onward!
Old 06-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Great bang for the buck 11R but compared to our FX3 and Kemper Pro it lacks some of the more ”modern sounds” IMHO

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Great bang for the buck 11R but compared to our FX3 and Kemper Pro it lacks some of the more ”modern sounds” IMHO
True, but can you buy either the FX3 or Kemper Pro for under US $250?

For amp hardware released in 2009, it's held up better than some. Not denying that newer units may have more/better sounds, but for an 11-year old product, I'm glad I bought mine used 3 years ago.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 06-19-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
True, but can you buy either the FX3 or Kemper Pro for under US $250?

For amp hardware released in 2009, it's held up better than some. Not denying that newer units may have more/better sounds, but for an 11-year old product, I'm glad I bought mine used 3 years ago.
Sorry if i worded wrong, we use the 11R alot and I agree for the money and quality and longevity it is a great piece of gear and will be used for years to come.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-21-2020, 01:58 PM

I was waiting for the 11R pilot for catalina.

My configuration is Catalina 10.15.5 (MacBook Pro).

11R editor is running well but the hardware is not running as audio interface.

To use 11R in Logic Pro, I've connected 11R to other compatible interface audio by spdif in and out.

11R still alive
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 PM

The Overloud TH-U has a "Rig Player" which uses "rigs" that seems to be similar to Kemper profiles.

There was a sale @ Timeandspace and you could buy one of the cheaper versions (Rock, Metal or Funk) for 29.00, and those versions can use the rigs as well.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchope View Post
I was waiting for the 11R pilot for catalina.

My configuration is Catalina 10.15.5 (MacBook Pro).

11R editor is running well but the hardware is not running as audio interface.

To use 11R in Logic Pro, I've connected 11R to other compatible interface audio by spdif in and out.

11R still alive
Am I wrong, or does every update of PT overwrite ElevenRack, resulting in the MIDI ERROR message, and the editor no longer accessible? Lat time I updated MacOs I was again able to open the Editor standalone, AND 11R was an option under the PT Windows menu.

Sorry but if true, this seems like an EZ fix for future PT updates to not kill 11R Editor functionality
UAD FW Apollo Duo (Thunderbolt Card)
PT 2021.3
Eleven Rack FW v2.00.1 / Software 1.2.14