Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Default I lost my whole song. saved as with a name change ,then WTF there goes 15 hours

I lost my whole song. saved as with a name change ,then WTF there goes 15 hours of work mostly the boring editing stuff to.

This has happened to me may to many times this year. Its basically a crap shoot if my session is not messed up in some way. I don't know what is wrong. Im a little on the weird side ya but it seems as though they are being sabotaged on me. It happens to often to be accidental.

This is making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to accept clients because my hard drive seems to be the Bermuda Triangle. With no trace of anything left over.

I cannot accept new clients until I sort this out.

Please help me out if anybody knows or has experience with something like this. Im completely stuck
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Default Re: I lost my whole song. saved as with a name change ,then WTF there goes 15 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
I lost my whole song. saved as with a name change ,then WTF there goes 15 hours of work mostly the boring editing stuff to.

This has happened to me may to many times this year. Its basically a crap shoot if my session is not messed up in some way. I don't know what is wrong. Im a little on the weird side ya but it seems as though they are being sabotaged on me. It happens to often to be accidental.

This is making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to accept clients because my hard drive seems to be the Bermuda Triangle. With no trace of anything left over.

I cannot accept new clients until I sort this out.

Please help me out if anybody knows or has experience with something like this. Im completely stuck
Ok, start from the beginning...

What exactly are you doing before you lose a session? What exactly are you seeing happen? Does the whole session folder disappear? Version of Pro Tools? OS? etc?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 AM

+1

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Re: I lost my whole song. saved as with a name change ,then WTF there goes 15 hours

not to point at the obvious, but, do you have the possibility to open one of the back up's saved on the autosave folder and take it from there?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Alright. So I wanted to do some edits ,so I did then saved it . But I saved it as SAVE AS. I do this before all edits so I can go back in case something funky happens.

It saved only a click a master and a few busses. But no audio at all.
It only kept 4 of about 40 channels. I do have lots of back ups I did have to revert to but still . This is not the 5th time this has happened to me.
I have a problem where when I save my work close the session go to lunch or something. Then when i open it back up the audio slips . That happens a lot.
I edit out all unnecessary audio always so its nice and clean. Iv had to start consolidating my tracks so this won't happen but its a pain in the but and adds a lot of extra time into my process.

Just like this problem its fine, Then I save it, leave then come back and its all screwed up or just not there at all.

This happened a lot to me in TDM so its not a HDX specific problem
Its such a big problem I have considered taking out my bluetooth wifi and internet connections, Like a paranoia issue physically removing them from my mac.

Sorry to go all wacky on you but this is way to big a problem for me.
60% of my work get ruined like this. al least. and thats conservative
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Not trying to be a wise guy but, why does it not happen to the rest of us? It's gotta be either something in your workflow or a system specific issue. The fact that it happened in TDM as well pretty much eliminates the system specific problem though.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 AM

Phatbeat -
Lets try and help - is this the scenario:

You work on session with Name "MySong A" - you edit and you then save it as "My Song A Version 2". Close session and re-open it and the changes are gone. Did you re-open "MySong A" or "My Song A Version 2"?

Also - safeguard yourself by setting up autosaves:
Setup Menu / Preferences
Click Operation Tab
Under "Auto Backup" select to keep at least 10 most recent backups and backup say every 5 or 10 minutes.

Next time you lose the edits, open your sessionfolder / Session File Backups and open latest autosave session and work you way back.

Also - Delete your setup and prefs files if the problem persist.

I have not have this problem since Protools 1.01 (Remember Eit and Record being two applcations) :)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 AM

This won't help you on this session but in the future if know you are going to be editing a session as a different version, just duplicate the session (command d) on your drive before you start that way all of your corresponding audio files are in tact. Name the session "song a version 2" open that session and save when you're done.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
Alright. So I wanted to do some edits ,so I did then saved it . But I saved it as SAVE AS. I do this before all edits so I can go back in case something funky happens.

It saved only a click a master and a few busses. But no audio at all.
It only kept 4 of about 40 channels.

Question...when you say "It only kept 4 of about 40 channels"...do you mean the channels are physically gone from the mixer & edit windows or the channels are there but the audio is missing from the channels?

Thanks & good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

When you save a copy with a new name, unless you tell ProTools to copy all the media as well, then the new session still relies on the same audio files as the original session. That means if you delete audio files in one session, they will also be missing in the other session. Both sessions share the same audio files folder.

This sounds like that to me. If it's actually some kind of bug, my condolences.