Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Default (FIXED!) Recorded Audio Has Higher Pitch and Faster (NOT A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM!!!)

So I had this problem last week in class and haven't been able to figure out a solution. My professor either. We're both stumped and really mad at it. It sounds exactly like a sample rate problem but it isn't. Audio sounds fine through monitoring but when you play it back it's a few steps up (not a half step, more than that) and almost double speed. I googled and googled and found a few threads on these forums with similar issues and one [snob] simply kept telling the guy it had to have been a sample rate problem but it wasn't there and it isn't here, either. I posted this on the ProTools subreddit (reddit.com/r/protools) and got one guy who gave me a few things to go try and check to make 100% sure it's not a sample rate error. On everything I checked it was 44.1khz and 24 bit. This is exactly what my session is set to. It sounds the same when I open it in VLC player or even REAPER.

This problem persists across multiple sessions and only affects audio I record through Pro Tools. Importing audio from elsewhere (I.e. My Tascam recorder.) doesn't playback with this problem. It plays normally. It is NOT an interface problem, either. I opened up REAPER and recorded some audio in that and it worked perfectly. It is strictly a problem I've encountered in Pro Tools and that's it. It seems like it must be some kind of strange recording issue. I'm on the verge of uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing just to try to fix it.

This is getting exceedingly ridiculous and annoying. Thanks for all help.

Shoutout to Avid for charging $600 ($700 I believe it was for 11...) for a program that when you have issues with and need real tech support you have to hand over more money to a company that charges $20,000 as well for their hardware.... Classy. Great company. They want to be the industry standard but won't give free tech support even once? Really?

Last edited by BenMeyers; 02-19-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Has Higher Pitch and Faster (NOT A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM!!!)

Does this happen if you render a section of sine wave using the signal generator? If so, that can serve as a reference. For example, render a section of 1 kHz tone.

If the tone IS pitched up like the rest of your audio, post the session. Anyone who loads it will be able to use that tone as a reference when trying to find the problem.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Has Higher Pitch and Faster (NOT A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM!!!)

Well guess what. IT LIKELY IS A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM.

I'm not sure of your point in posting here. You don't seem to want any help or you would have provided clear info on your setup, interface, driver versions, and exactly what you are doing and folks here might have been able to help. But hey if you are totally sure it's not a sample rate problem maybe you would not want to listen to any help.

Most of these issues are simple finger problems, sometimes complicated by independent driver sample rate settings, confusion about digital input sample rates or SRC being applied or not. And nobody here can guess what/how you are monitoring (though Pro Tools or though interface hardware or an outboard console or what?), and if what you hear there is or is not relevant to playback?

If you have a current Pro Tools support plan/subscription that includes some free support. Presumably if you are paying a school to teach you and they can't work stuff out they have Avid support available and can contact Avid as well. Why are they dumping stuff in your lap to solve? It may not be Avid's issue, it may be a third party interface sample rate setting problem. But how can we guess what Interface you have? Or exactly how you are setting any sample rates?

And well, for starters what exact sample rate is your session set at in Pro Tools? (we have no clue what you checked where when you say useless thing like "On everything I checked it was 44.1khz and 24 bit.", 1. nobody cares about bit depth. 2. are you talking about the session sample rate? the sample rate shown in an interface/driver control panel? Sample rate shown on the front panel of an interface? Sample rates from outboard digital gear going into an interface? There is a sad lack of mind readers here).

You've tested with completely new empty sessions, not from a template? And not save as copy etc.?

If you are using the Presonus Audiobox 2x2 listed in your profile what sample rate does the driver control panel show? Uh and Presonus do have more than their share of interface sample rate setting issues with Pro Tools.

What exact driver version?

Make sure Windows is not trying to use that interface as a system sound device.

What exact other troubleshooting has been tried? presumably the staff at the school had you try a bunch of stuff.... what exactly?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 AM

If he's using the Audiobox 2x2, then it might help to know that he would only have two sample rate choices - 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 AM

Indeed^^^ I would be looking at the interface and its associated software

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If he's using the Audiobox 2x2, then it might help to know that he would only have two sample rate choices - 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz.
Yes, and a mistake there generates a roughly whole note step. Which may well be what the user saw. As for a few step up change accompanied by a "almost double the speed". That is a non-linear change (double the speed would be a whole octave up) and would require use of elastic audio or a plugin to get that change. So kinda unlikely, easily excluded by simple troubleshooting, and I suspect not an accurate measurement.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:10 AM

mesa, may i ask where you got the info about the OP using an AudioBox ?? i missed that somewhere .. thank you

Ben, you are in a Class of some sort, is this the ONLY workstation ?? or the ONLY one that has issues ?? is this on your personal computer to School computer ??

Daryl was asking for more system info .. i agree we could use more to help more ..

we are working in the Dark without proper info, i am are you can see that ..

the uninstall - reinstall is a good idea ..

we are here, and happy to help .. pleas post back more info

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
mesa, may i ask where you got the info about the OP using an AudioBox ?? i missed that somewhere .. thank you
Darryl mentioned that this info was in Ben's public user profile. http://duc.avid.com/member.php?u=157058
Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 AM

copy that .. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Darryl mentioned that this info was in Ben's public user profile. http://duc.avid.com/member.php?u=157058

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-17-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well guess what. IT LIKELY IS A SAMPLE RATE PROBLEM.

I'm not sure of your point in posting here. You don't seem to want any help or you would have provided clear info on your setup, interface, driver versions, and exactly what you are doing and folks here might have been able to help. But hey if you are totally sure it's not a sample rate problem maybe you would not want to listen to any help.

Most of these issues are simple finger problems, sometimes complicated by independent driver sample rate settings, confusion about digital input sample rates or SRC being applied or not. And nobody here can guess what/how you are monitoring (though Pro Tools or though interface hardware or an outboard console or what?), and if what you hear there is or is not relevant to playback?

If you have a current Pro Tools support plan/subscription that includes some free support. Presumably if you are paying a school to teach you and they can't work stuff out they have Avid support available and can contact Avid as well. Why are they dumping stuff in your lap to solve? It may not be Avid's issue, it may be a third party interface sample rate setting problem. But how can we guess what Interface you have? Or exactly how you are setting any sample rates?

And well, for starters what exact sample rate is your session set at in Pro Tools? (we have no clue what you checked where when you say useless thing like "On everything I checked it was 44.1khz and 24 bit.", 1. nobody cares about bit depth. 2. are you talking about the session sample rate? the sample rate shown in an interface/driver control panel? Sample rate shown on the front panel of an interface? Sample rates from outboard digital gear going into an interface? There is a sad lack of mind readers here).

You've tested with completely new empty sessions, not from a template? And not save as copy etc.?

If you are using the Presonus Audiobox 2x2 listed in your profile what sample rate does the driver control panel show? Uh and Presonus do have more than their share of interface sample rate setting issues with Pro Tools.

What exact driver version?

Make sure Windows is not trying to use that interface as a system sound device.

What exact other troubleshooting has been tried? presumably the staff at the school had you try a bunch of stuff.... what exactly?
Ah look the same guy I saw posting in everything else people posted with this problem... Word of advice: come across a little less snobbish please? You come across as a very, very snobbish person. You may know your stuff but you come across as very arrogant. Saying things like "when you say useless things like ___" when first of all: it wasn't useless. The huge majority of your post was most certainly useless since you basically spent the whole time insulting my intelligence. I checked the session sample rate numerous times, I made it from scratch (not a template... Really??) I checked the individual wav files in Pro Tools and REAPER and VLC player and WaveAgent Beta etc. I assume most people will infer that instead of having to say every single device I checked with... I said in everything I checked and so I assume you'll understand I checked using PT and more. It's not hard to not act like a total jerk and snob and that everyone else is below you. Jeez.

I list my specs on my profile. I assumed it listed it somewhere obvious since it was my first post. I assume people will assume like I would that when I say it's all 44.1 and 24 bit like it should be then that clearly means it's the session sample rate. My interface is set to 44.1. Everything is set the same. All the wav files from the session are the right sample rate. I can't see what version driver I have right now but can try to check later. I think it's 2? Not sure.

I like how you specifically say "1. nobody cares about bit depth." You're flaming me for saying all these other stuff you say is useless but then say listing another detail that is good to know is the same you say no one cares? Seriously you need to improve your communication style. You sound like a real jerk. Wow.

I appreciate you trying to help but you really come across the absolute wrong way. That's no way to help anyone. Notice how you turned me off from the tone of your whole angry, flamey reply?

Troubleshooting I can remember off the top of my head: New session. Different interfaces. Setting it to higher sample rate. Resetting the things. Recording on interface and playback on ASIO. Same thing.

FYI I tried it using an Avid MBox Mini and my PreSonous interface. The issue actually started on the MBox. It is not a PreSonous problem I'd say pretty obviously based on that.

Thanks for that help but please tone your attitude down.