Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 AM

Default Get background music from two different language tracks

I've been absolutely racking my brains over doing this for hours now and got various VST plugins that don't seem to help. Theoretically, there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be possible. The music is identical but the voices are different. One is in English, the other Japanese. Just the voices differ, and the music is at the exact same position. Heck, I even have the Spanish DVDs. So if it would help, I could use a third language to filter out the differences.

If somebody can please help me with this, I'd seriously appreciate it. You can find the two audio files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hua2bsn8n...zpHwpnAVa?dl=0
If you can crack this problem, please tell me how you did it.

Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Get background music from two different language tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mantis View Post
I've been absolutely racking my brains over doing this for hours now and got various VST plugins that don't seem to help. Theoretically, there is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be possible. The music is identical but the voices are different. One is in English, the other Japanese. Just the voices differ, and the music is at the exact same position. Heck, I even have the Spanish DVDs. So if it would help, I could use a third language to filter out the differences.

If somebody can please help me with this, I'd seriously appreciate it. You can find the two audio files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hua2bsn8n...zpHwpnAVa?dl=0
If you can crack this problem, please tell me how you did it.

Thank you!
Hi, You're trying to extract just the music? That's going to be very difficult if not impossible. You can try to minimize the dialogue with processing, and maybe edit between the different versions to have the least amount of dialogue, but you can't completely eliminate a sound overlayed on a single file.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-09-2015, 01:11 AM

This is a big problem, you can only make this:

If you make up the difference signal from the stereotrack, you have after this only the S-signal.

L+R=M(ono)signal
L-R=S(ide) signal

I've produced this with your wav files, it works, but with this methode it lacks all other monaural signals too, like bass etc!

A other problem is, your sourcemix is not so good, its lossy audio, you mean its was from a dvd and the mix is not clean, channel seperation is bad and some sounds from the M-signal are available too in the S-signal!

Ok, i hope you understand my message, its difficult to explain for me in my bad english!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM

I've heard good things of Izotope Rx... I've no idea if it's been designed to deal with this kind of situation but you can give it a try.

Last edited by amagras; 05-05-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mantis View Post
Just the voices differ, and the music is at the exact same position.
Hi.
I thought I'd give it a shot so I set up a session with the two files.

Thought I'd flip the phase on, say the english version and mix it with the japanese so that the music would cancel out and I'd have a track that contained the speach only, and this could later be phase flipped, mixed in with original tracks to cancel out the speach.

But, the waveforms, where they contain only music, are not identical. It's obvious when you zoom in. So, not possible I'm afraid. I couldn't even get close.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM

Think of mixing yellow and blue paint together to make green. Once you do, you can't take the blue paint back out. I don't know of a way to "unmix" anything, not convincingly.
The music is identical but the voices are different. One is in English, the other Japanese. Just the voices differ, and the music is at the exact same position
Try editing instead, maybe?