Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Collaborating across the country

This is outside of the realms of Pro Tools.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to collaborate with a songwriter across the country. Not in terms of writing and recording different parts on the same project, but in terms of actually simulating a live re-writing session.

We have experimented with instant messenger and video chats, but although the sound quality is almost passable there is a time delay that makes it unworkable.

I have found that the best way (for me) to work with a co-writer is in a live one on one session, and not by emailing files back and forth. So does anyone have any idea how to simulate this in a better way than what instant messenger programs (we've also tried Skype) can do? Also, I work on Pro Tools, my friend does not.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Collaborating across the country

I don't have the answer to your question, I have the same question to submit to this board. I HEARD THERE WAS A PRO TOOLS (DigiDesign)SITE THAT YOU COULD JOIN TO PLACE SESSIONS ON. Does anyone out there have information on this?? I heard there is a monthly fee etc.
thanks you
Old 04-24-2006, 05:05 AM

Hey guys,

best way to collab is to zip all the session files into a zip file and then go to www.yousendit.com and send them that way. You can send up to 1gb of files at a time on there and best part about it is that it is free.. Once you both had the session files and whomever you are collab'ing with has the session files, you just trade the .wav files from there back and forth for whatever you need and thats about it. When you get the files, just import them into the PT session.

btw.. don't believe Digi has a monthly service that allows you to do this like one of your posts asked.. I think you may be thinking of the Digi-delivery system which is a piece of hardware you can purchase from Digi and setup as a file server in your studio. The only downside to one of these units is that most ISP's won't let you hook up servers on them unless you are paying for business service through that company. Goodluck to both of you with your collabs though, it is certainly a lot of fun. peace
Old 04-24-2006, 05:30 AM

Charlie, yousendit has reduced the free limit to 50MB recently.

Years ago, there used to be something called Rocket Network/DigiStudio, but it was discontinued long ago. I think this is what bafoon is referring to.

For live collaboration, there are also the Source Connect and Source Live Plugins, though source connect would only be helpful if everyone had Pro Tools.

There are also VST varieties such as VSTunnel and DigitalMusician.net, and a few others, but if Skype hasn't been working out very well for you, these might not either.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Charlie, yousendit has reduced the free limit to 50MB recently
Funny, the website still says "Send files up to 2 GB"

I found myself having problems sending zip files packed with lots of wavs. Remember all those free Acid loops I was offering to send to folk? Never did manage to. There were hundreds in each zip, so maybe that somehow caused a glitch?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:51 AM

Wait a mo. My bad. You have to pay for files above 50Mb now https://beta.yousendit.com/whyyousendit.php
Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 AM

100MB.
Bloody capitalist bastards
I was using it daily !
a

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 04-24-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
For live collaboration, there are also the Source Connect and Source Live Plugins
I love the idea of Source Connect, except I'm not into putting my PT computer online. Other solutions?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-24-2006, 10:32 AM

doh!!! they must have just changed that in the past few weeks or so on usendit... the other option is if someone has webspace to host the files on you could send them back and forth that way or use one of the sites the guys mentioned...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Collaborating across the country
Forgot to ask - which country might that happen to be...?