How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 AM

Default Eleven Rack Re-Amp monitoring not working

Hello everyone,
I am using a Mac Mini, OS 10.10.2, PT11.3. and am using the Eleven Rack as my audio converter.
I downloaded the new driver for the Eleven Rack, 1.2.2, and now I am having problems with the Re-Amp function. When I am recording to PT, I cannot monitor the Eleven Rack amp sound. And when I play back the raw DI track, it will not route to the Re-Amp. When I turn on the Eleven Rack, the guitar input works, but as soon as I launch PT, the guitar input does not work.
I am using the same setup as I did before upgrading the driver. I have been using the Eleven Rack for over a year now and no problems like this before.
I did select the Re-Amp input on the Eleven Rack when trying to listen to my guitar track with the amp sound. Nothing.

Anybody having this issue or an idea what else to try?
Thanks so much.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-Amp monitoring not working

Did you try Defaulting the IO?

Here's a video I made about re-amping, ensure you are using the same process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzu75EZjkQ

Are you sure the Eleven Rack is selected as your Playback device and not CoreAudio or something else?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-13-2015, 02:42 PM

Thanks so much Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Did you try Defaulting the IO? Just tried it.

Here's a video I made about re-amping, ensure you are using the same process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzu75EZjkQ. Thanks so much. This is basically what I have been doing.

Are you sure the Eleven Rack is selected as your Playback device and not CoreAudio or something else?
Playback is Eleven Rack.

I think the basic problem is that when I select input to Guitar, I cannot monitor the Eleven Rack amp sound unless I arm another track with input on Eleven Rig. And I cannot record a dry track without also recording a wet track to hear what I am playing. PT is somehow not letting the dry signal get to my monitor speakers which are coming from the main outputs of the Eleven Rack. So basically it will not let me do this; guitar -> Eleven Rack -> monitor speakers. It will only do this; guitar -> PT -> Eleven Rack -> PT -> monitor speakers. It never did this before I updated the driver. Is there anyway to report this to Avid without paying $40?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:27 PM

The basic problem seems to be that PT is not letting me monitor my Eleven Rig directly to my monitor speakers.
I will not let me do this; Guitar -> Eleven Rack -> monitor speakers
It will only let me do this; Guitar -> PT -> Eleven Rack -> PT -> monitor speakers.
It did not do this before I updated the Eleven Rack driver.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Is the rig input in the Eleven Rack set to guitar in or whatever you are using? (a awfully common finger problem... don't know how many times I've done that)

If that is not it...

Unplug the USB cable from the Eleven Rack.

Do a memory reset (will lose all rig settings) on the Eleven Rack.

Does it work now?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:35 PM

Hi Darryl,
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried all of this but the problem remains. Also went through every setting I could find but my Eleven Rack will not play if PT is running on my computer.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Hang on, hang on. I am probably guilty of misreading your posts, but the description with the "->" was throwing me a bit.

So you have a dry/DI track and you reamp through the Eleven Rack and you get audio back in the the wet track from Pro Tools OK but you just don't hear that wet track as you are recording?

Quote:
When I turn on the Eleven Rack, the guitar input works, but as soon as I launch PT, the guitar input does not work.
That is normal, you have to arm the track. Does it then work?

Quote:
I did select the Re-Amp input on the Eleven Rack when trying to listen to my guitar track with the amp sound. Nothing.
Nothing as you hear nothing or nothing as nothing at all happens, no Pro Tools meters move, no meters inside the Eleven Rack rig (via the rig view on the front panel display), no audio is recorded in the wet track?

Quote:
The basic problem seems to be that PT is not letting me monitor my Eleven Rig directly to my monitor speakers.
I will not let me do this; Guitar -> Eleven Rack -> monitor speakers
It will only let me do this; Guitar -> PT -> Eleven Rack -> PT -> monitor speakers.
It did not do this before I updated the Eleven Rack driver.
If I understated what you mean it may just be you have input monitoring set incorrectly. Toggle between Track>Input Only and Track>Auto Input and see what happens. If that works for you the explanation of what this is doing is in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. The keyboard shortcut make it easy to accidentally toggle modes. In which case the driver was just a red-herring. And if that was it I'll apologize now for being dense and missing it before.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM

Hello everyone and thanks for trying to help me out here. So Avid got in touch with me and they explained that I can only audit/ monitor the eleven rack output through an record-armed 'wet' track on PT (track input set to Eleven Rig). I was trying to audit/ monitor the eleven rack straight from a dry track (track output set to Re-Amp, eleven rack input set to Re-Amp). Apparently this is not in the driver coding. I told them to change this because essentially I have to go through a couple of extra steps (arm a track) to hear what I am playing and that the old driver was fine the way it was. After I record a track and I want to edit it, I have to delete the wet track first, another extra step.
It this what everyone is doing? Or again am I missing something? Would it not be easier to just hear what I am playing and only record the dry track without a wet track if that's what works for me? I would like to have that option.
Thanks so much for all of you trying to help me figure this out.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Uh there is nothing for Avid to fix. That is how Pro Tools works with any interface. You can't have one track somehow magically being monitored from another. If you want to monitor the dry track, monitor the dry track. If you do want to monitor the wet track, monitor the wet track, users need to be able to do either, and its really no extra work.

If your old driver was working differently then something was wrong, where Pro Tools was not muting the internal output/monitoring path in the Eleven Rack (something Pro Tools has always done, using a proprietary hook in the Eleven Rack driver, that other DAWs do not use... and almost something that every one of those other users wishes their DAWs did do...). If that broken behavior was presented to most Pro Tools users folks here would be screaming about it.

You can monitor the dry or wet track or whatever you want, its all at your control. But how to you listen to a dry track? you normally need to stick an amp sim plugin on the track to get it loud enough, so if you are going to do that you might as well monitor though the Eleven Rack.

All too much stuff to do? You don't need to record a dry track at all. Just record the wet track, the dry track is there is you want to reamp things later. if you don't then don't record it. If you do want to reamp later then the benefits you get for almost no work is amazing.

After you record a track you have to delete it? Huh Ah no... Sounds like you really need to spend some time getting up to speed with Pro Tools. For one thing try looking up playlists and seeing how they work. Both in the Pro tools Reference Guide and look for tutorial videos on You Tube. You also should understand things like quick punch. And look at the different standard Eleven Rack session templates.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-21-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennimusic View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for trying to help me out here. So Avid got in touch with me and they explained that I can only audit/ monitor the eleven rack output through an record-armed 'wet' track on PT (track input set to Eleven Rig). I was trying to audit/ monitor the eleven rack straight from a dry track (track output set to Re-Amp, eleven rack input set to Re-Amp). Apparently this is not in the driver coding. I told them to change this because essentially I have to go through a couple of extra steps (arm a track) to hear what I am playing and that the old driver was fine the way it was. After I record a track and I want to edit it, I have to delete the wet track first, another extra step.
It this what everyone is doing? Or again am I missing something? Would it not be easier to just hear what I am playing and only record the dry track without a wet track if that's what works for me? I would like to have that option.
Thanks so much for all of you trying to help me figure this out.
Did you watch the video I linked to above? Because it explains exactly how to Re-Amp. It sounds like you are wanting to do something else.

You don't have to record the wet track if you don't want to. If you prefer just use an AUX track for the Eleven Rack Rig input, then it will monitor all the time and it won't record the wet audio. You still need to record the dry audio if you are wanting to use that performance in a re-amp later.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio