Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Default Macbook Pro and Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion for HD

Hi

I am interested in moving my 3 card HD Accel system to a more portable platform (currently in a Mac Pro 2.66), such as a 3xPCIe Thunderbolt expansion chassis connected to a mid 2012 Mac Book Pro.

Is that configuration doable with the Magma or Sonnet PCIe/Thunderbolt Chassis and Pro Tools HD 10 on the TDM PCIe cards? From the sleuthing around that i have done so far, it looks like this is not possible. . . really too bad.

I fly a lot and would like to take my rig so I can use it for virtual soundcheck on Avid Profile consoles, and it would be much more portable for remote recording sessions, plus these Macbook Pros are faster than my MacPro. . . .

Any help/suggestions/pointers/warnings would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro and Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion for HD

Is HDN Thunderbolt box not an option for you?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
Is that configuration doable with the Magma or Sonnet PCIe/Thunderbolt Chassis and Pro Tools HD 10 on the TDM PCIe cards? From the sleuthing around that i have done so far, it looks like this is not possible. . . really too bad.
Unfortunately, you're right. The only cards that will run in a thunderbolt->pcie chassis are hdn and hdx, the hd-tdm cards don't have the thunderbolt aware driver that is needed on a mac.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 AM

AS THE KING of "hold fast" I declare….HOLD FAST.

Let the world sort it out and keep making money with your lovely plug-ins that work.

All will sort itself out…then new challenges will arise….

I am the KING ha ha ha hah (and I have spoken.)