Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Default Advanced Meter Type Settings

I've been wondering what's considered to be the proper settings for the "Advanced Meter Type Settings" (in PT's Preferences); I have the "Meter Type" set to "Pro Tools Classic." It's common knowledge (atleast I think it is) that analogue gear works best at -18db, which would be it's sweet spot, right? However, PT's default dBFS setting is 0. I've been reading a ton of stuff lately about gain staging, headroom, etc. in a DAW environment. Clipping seems to be an all too common problem and I'm wondering if alot of it stems from this default setting. I'm posting this thread to get an idea of what you guys use as your default dB setting. Do you go right to -18 or somewhere in-between (-18 and 0)?

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 10-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Advanced Meter Type Settings

0dBFS is a digital maximum, and -18 reference level is equivalent to 0VU in analog terms.

So... using the classic PT metering, don't track too hot! Consider yellow as new red and you'll do just fine.

(If you have super AD converter with 124dB dynamics, and using 24bit WAV for storage, you have 144-124=20dB headroom. Record hotter than -20dBFS you will only amplify noise)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
0dBFS is a digital maximum, and -18 reference level is equivalent to 0VU in analog terms.

So... using the classic PT metering, don't track too hot! Consider yellow as new red and you'll do just fine.

(If you have super AD converter with 124dB dynamics, and using 24bit WAV for storage, you have 144-124=20dB headroom. Record hotter than -20dBFS you will only amplify noise)
So you leave the dBFS at 0?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:41 AM

No, I try to record peaks at about -18..20dBFS and only target -1..2dBFS when mastering
Old 10-30-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
No, I try to record peaks at about -18..20dBFS and only target -1..2dBFS when mastering
So is it common practice to get the proper levels (on each track) with a VU Meter before hitting record? I just bought the VUMT plugin and wanna make sure that Im using it correctly.

Thanks.

Last edited by adam79; 10-30-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:40 PM

If you record too hot (as in 0..-6dBFS peaks), you are driving your AD converter's analog stage too hot, and if it isn't a 1000 dollar box you will not get the best out of it.

And you won't benefit anything anyway. Math is this: 24-bit fixed-point WAV has theoretical 144dB dynamics. Say you have a good AD converter with 124dB dynamics, your sweet spot is -20dBFS and any hotter than that only amplifies noise.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
If you record too hot (as in 0..-6dBFS peaks), you are driving your AD converter's analog stage too hot, and if it isn't a 1000 dollar box you will not get the best out of it.

And you won't benefit anything anyway. Math is this: 24-bit fixed-point WAV has theoretical 144dB dynamics. Say you have a good AD converter with 124dB dynamics, your sweet spot is -20dBFS and any hotter than that only amplifies noise.
I'm using the UA Apollo Duo.as my interface. I checked the specs to see what the dynamics dB rating was, but there wasn't any dynamics rating in the AD converter specs. It said that the micpres were rated at 114dB. Is this what your referring to?

Also, will setting the DbFS to -18 (or something close to that) only work with the micpres? Will the setting be too low for the line level inputs? If i remember correctly, when i tried using my POD XT, connected to the line inputs, the signal coming in was much too weak.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 AM

114dB sounds like an AD converter dynamics, but frankly, it isn't very high end number. But with that said, red-book CD has 96dB dynamics so if you know how to use it to the fullest, it will be a non-issue.

So, math here is 144-114=30dB which is your headroom. If you track anything hotter than -30dBFS you are only amplifying noise and introducing trouble to your AD converter.

Therefore keep your peaks at -20dBFS and turn up the monitoring volume.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Also, will setting the DbFS to -18 (or something close to that) only work with the micpres? Will the setting be too low for the line level inputs?
It doesn't matter whether you're using mic or line or instrument, whatever you feed your AD converter is getting converted to digital signal and your digital signal shouldn't be too hot as an end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
If i remember correctly, when i tried using my POD XT, connected to the line inputs, the signal coming in was much too weak.
Turn up the volume on your monitor controller. That's exactly why you have a volume knob. You do have one, don't you? If your peaks are hitting -20dBFS it should be strong enough to give you enough noise.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Below is the Apollo spec sheet.. I just wanna make sure that I'm setting the dBFS correctly, and that 114 is the correct spec. Also, in PT Preferences, should I set the Track and Master Meters to Pro Tools Classic as well? They default to Sample Peak, which is also the default for Advanced Meter Types. I also changed the Color Break Low to -6dB (from -12dB) for some continuity. Think that's proper move?

Oh yeah, how will the -20 dBFS setting impact the VUMT plugin (since it's set to -18dB)?

Last edited by adam79; 11-01-2016 at 11:26 PM.