Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Win10Pro TDM HD

Hi Folks
Finally accepted Microsoft's invitation to upgrade to Win10 from Win7x64. Only the first day, but I have hit a couple of snags with both PT10 and PT11. Nothing major, and I'll stick to PT10 in this thread.

I have Avid HEAT installed. It is not engaged in the test session. When I try to shut the session down PT hangs for 30seconds. I doubt it's saving data as it rescans plugins on boot despite the dialogue.

The event log tells me HEAT is to blame. So I have reinstalled it completely (after an over the top of the original) but have the same issue.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on why?

Also, going to Avid's website, I can find no trace of a downloadable Win installer. A link to a more up to date version would be useful if anyone can find it. I have version 10.2.0. More details in the event log below.

-->
Faulting application name: ProTools.exe, version: 10.3.10.613, time stamp: 0x54c9a2ea
Faulting module name: HEAT.dpm, version: 1.0.0.497, time stamp: 0x4c234707
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x00343363
Faulting process id: 0x2010
Faulting application start time: 0x01d114e4f5fd3a63
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Pro Tools\ProTools.exe
Faulting module path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins\HEAT.dpm
Report Id: c744f11f-05ad-4319-93b2-075422603365
Old 11-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Win10Pro TDM HD

you have crated an unsupported system upgrading to W10

W10 is currently unsupported by any version of Pro Tools, and PT10 never will be

I don't think there is anything to reinstall other than the entire Pro Tools app, if I'm remembering correctly HEAT only needs the iLok license to activate it, the feature is installed with the insulation of Pro Tools

Best to revert to your backup safety image

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Most everything else works in Windows 10. Quite a nice UI actually. Nice to see a workable version that harmonizes mobile and desktop.

That PT10 is not supported is very old news. I think it's a shame Avid don't see legacy 32bit systems as worth their time - there's a lot of them out there, and not everyone will upgrade to HDX. So, I will live without HEAT in PT10 if I have to. It came as a purchaseable upgrade, although you are correct it is iLok licensed.

As for reverting back? Possible, there is a one month "undo upgrade" button which will get me back to Win7x64 if needed, so, I think I will run a few more tests before giving up on it. It seems to work apart from HEAT.

I will test PT11 with ASIO before I leave this space.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 AM

Microsoft's website states: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

"If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure that a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch."

Any volunteers?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Interestingly, I then searched for HEAT in PT11 running using an RME ASIO interface, I can find no HEAT plugin at all. No icon in the bottom right corner, and no switch to see it in the View menu. Am I missing something?
PT11.3.1 version. Full HEAT license on iLok2.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:26 PM

I think HEAT is only for HDX systems. OK. So it's only PT10 HD I have issues with then.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 AM

What would be the possibility that Avid might provide a recompilation of the HEAT.dpm module, now that Windows 10 is available?

I have looked deeper into the error code, and the basic thrust of that errorcode is it's hitting some leftover breakpoint in the code which is being triggered for whatever reason. I am guessing that because it's a DPM file, it contains DSP code, warning messages, some licensing stuff - whatever - but that means it's not HEAT itself that would need a tweak, but the Windows centric packing around, that moves a dpm to the HD cards.

I am wondering if this is a simple matter of recompiling the DPM file and losing that leftover breakpoint? I would be extremely surprised if it took more than a few minutes to isolate the error and solve it. Windows 10 may have cosmetic adjustments, but vast amounts of code will still have to behave as before.

Annoyingly, that single DPM file is about all that's stopping me upgrading the HD system to Windows 10.

Avid might find approving HD for Windows 10 easier than they imagine. Might just a be a question of recompiling DPM files.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What would be the possibility that Avid might provide a recompilation of the HEAT.dpm module, now that Windows 10 is available?
zero, all PT10 related development is mothballed

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig