Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2001, 01:03 AM

Default DAT Connection Help!

Well, the instructions seem simple enough.
Connect S/PDIF out from DAT player to S/PDIF in on the back of the 001 box. Go under session set-up and choose "inputs 1-2 S/PDIF"

The problem is, I don't get that in my session set-up window. (or hardware window) All I have is an option to set the "synch" mode. There is nothing at all labeled "inputs 1-2." So, I tried setting the synch mode to all three options, with no results. During this time, I had record enabled the individual tracks in the mix windows, I had the inputs set to S/PDIF Left and S/PDIF Right. I'm using a standard RCA cable.

Can anyone advise me what I might be doing wrong in this scenario? I've tried everything I can think of, and neither manual is helpful at all with this. Both contain about 4 sentences that don't even accurately describe the options I have in my windows. I'm using a Panasonic 3700, that to the best of my knowledge... functions perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Popps
Old 10-15-2001, 08:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: DAT Connection Help!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by popps:
The problem is, I don't get that in my session set-up window. (or hardware window) All I have is an option to set the "synch" mode. There is nothing at all labeled "inputs 1-2."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-The Channel 1/2 input option is only available when using DSI 3.4.2 (or earlier) with PT 4.3.1 (or earlier). Due to 4 channel input support with PT LE, DSI 5.0 (and later) do not have this option in the Setups>Hardware window.

-What software and DSI version are you using?

Brent
Old 10-15-2001, 08:36 AM

I'm not a MAC user- but there is definetly one thing I think you're doing wrong. Be sure it's not a standard RCA cable- but an actual SPDIF cable. The impedence is more suitable for digital transfers and you'll wind up with less errors. However- this is not a soultion to your problem... just something to be aware of when you get the input up and running.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info, guys.

Brent, I'm using Pro Tools LE, versino 5.01, with the standard Digi 001 interface.

Still searching for answers....
Old 10-15-2001, 02:03 PM

I am using the eact same senario, except using v. 5.1.1. Here's a couple thoughts:

1. The RCA cable will work fine for now, but make sure it is good cable. Hook it up to another device and verify that it is not bad.

2. Check to see if you Panasonic DIP switch on the back of the machine is set to SPDIF. You can check the manual for this or go to the back of the 3700 and you'll see 4 switches, set Switch #1 up (to the ON position). This will send all digital signals out the SPDIF output.

3. Make sure your sample rates are compatible. If your DAT was recorded at 48KHZ, set you PT session to 48 KHz also. (I had a big problem with this earlier in thwe year)

Good Luck...

- Melow01
Old 10-15-2001, 02:12 PM

Also, under your 'playback engine' setup window, make sure that the optical format is set to ADAT. If it is set to S/PDIF, I believe this will disable the RCA S/PDIF connections on the 001.