Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2016, 06:58 AM

Default Connecting External RVRB hardware unit to HD OMNI

Hi guys
As far as I remember it was fairly simple to do it with my old 002 rack and 002 mixer (connecting external FX units), but somehow it does not really work for me with Avid HD OMNI.
So, basically I would like to use from time to time my external Alesis reverb in order to process some audio tracks in ProTools.
I have connected at the back of the OMNI SEND to Alesis Input and from Alesis OUT back to Returns on HD OMNI.
When I hit play in Pro Tools I can see any signal being send to RVRB unit and nothing is coming out either.
Has anyone tried to use some external gear with HD OMNI?
If so, could you please share how were you set up looked like, please?

Kind regards

m
Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Connecting External RVRB hardware unit to HD OMNI

The Sends and Returns on channels 1&2 are not inputs/outputs to Protools and will not work as inserts for what you want to do. They are specifically inserts for the built in preamps/DI's of channels 1&2. For example if you had a mic plugged into channel 1 preamp and wanted to also hook up a compressor or EQ, you would use those inserts, which would route the audio from the built in preamp to your outboard gear, then back in, all before it goes into the analog to digital converter.

If you want to use inserts from tracks within Protools, like you did on the 002/003, then you will need to set it up just like you did on those. You will need to use a line out, to a line in corresponding to the same number.

Assuming you want to keep channels 1&2 free to use the built in pres/DI's for recording purposes, you will then want to use channels 3&4 for your inserts.

Note that in order to do this, you will need to use a DB25 cable for the output, as the Omni does not have extra TRS line outs to use (besides the one pair you are most likely using for your monitors).

So, depending on what the jacks are on your Alesis unit, you will need either a DB25 to XLR Male, DB25 to XLR Female, or DB25 to TRS.

So, assuming this is a stereo reverb and you want to set it up in stereo, as is typical, you would go from Line out 3&4 (via the DB25 cable) into your Alesis unit, then the outputs from the Alesis unit can go into Omni Line in 3&4 (the TRS jacks). Everything from there should be similar to how you used to do it (It's been a while since I set up inserts, I don't remember if you need to also designate this in the I/O section of the Protools software).

Here is a link to some DB25 cables:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/searc...sB=r&Ntt=+db25
Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 AM

If the reverb has SPDIF IO, that would be the best way to connect it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Hi guys.
Many thanks for your respond and advice. Now it all make sense ,and HD OMNI manual actually does mention that i can connect compressor or EQ to send/return.

Yes my TRS are used for main monitoring in HD OMNI.
It was so much simpler with 002 I must say.
Alexis comes with TRS and MIDI only, so I probably will have to look at DB25 as you suggested.

Many thanks for your link below and very clear explanation.

Kind regards

m
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM

You can do this with the Omni's Digital I/O as well. You could use SPDIF or ADAT to do it.

You just have to remember that the Omni has a finite total number of in's and outs on the unit, that are way more limiting than other typical converters

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp