Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM

Default How to contact Avid?

Can anybody please tell me how to contact Avid support without having to suffer the cost of paying for the experience of fixing something that doesn't work which I have already paid for?

I have been trying to transfer my iLok licenses from ProTools 10 with the CPTK package to the HD 10/11 crossgrade but I am getting the message 'one or more licenses cannot be found in your account' when the licenses are clearly visible. Having contacted iLok technical support I have received the reply: "I believe Avid has a solution to this issue. Please contact them and let me know if you are still in need of support."

Fabulous - except when I go the Avid site I can't find anywhere to contact support without having to pay for the experience! Indeed the only useful information I seem to be able to get lately is from this user community when enough of us complain until an Avid representative interjects. Indeed I wouldn't even know that there was a major problem with authorising PT11 upgrades at iLok were it not for this site! Nevertheless even here I can't seem to find anywhere that explicitly tells me what the 'solution to this issue' is.

Is it just me? I have been a ProTools user since 1992 and have spent tens of thousands of dollars on ProTools related software and hardware (probably more) and it seems to me incredible that having paid for these products that I am then expected to pay again for support when I upgrade. I don't expect phone or on-line support for trivial things but when this is a major software upgrade and clearly there are issues either with the software or its licensing etc then it is not unreasonable to expect some useful level of free support without needing to troll through sites like this searching for some glimmer of information that might help. Other software developers - Native Instruments for one come to mind- are incredibly helpful on a personal, one on one basis, without charge - not instant but expedient. If they can in their business model achieve this, why can't Avid?

So there's the context. To repeat my question can anybody please tell me how to contact Avid support without having to pay for the experience and/or can someone from Avid (I know you must be reading this) let us know the explicit 'solution to this issue' that the i-lok technical support mention?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Default Re: How to contact Avid?

Call in to register your brand new ( phony ) product.
Than when they answer tell them about your issue.
This has worked for me but they might also tell you to purchase support codes.
Might work, might not. but it has
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: How to contact Avid?

Hi Michael,

I've asked Avid CS to look into your case, but to get started...

Did you purchase the Pro Tools 10 + CPTK to PTHD 11 upgrade, or the Pro Tools 9/10 + CPTK to PTHD 11 upgrade?

From what I can see on your personal Avid account with this email address, the last registration was this:
Product: Pro Tools 10.0 Upgrade from PT9 Purchased: May 10, 2012

That would have given you the bundled Pro Tools 9/10 license on your iLok account.

If you chose the Pro Tools 10 only upgrade, then that is why you would be having an error. You would have a Pro Tools 10 with PT9 bundled license, and the surrender terms are looking for a single, non-bundled Pro Tools 10 license that you would not have.

I can't view your order or iLok account, so I'm just guessing.

In any case, I'll have CS open a case for you and contact you.