Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Suggestions for a portable field recording mixer

Some background:

Have a friend who works for a company doing political campaign commercials and other stuff. I've been saving up some money for a while. I bought an mbox 2 recently and was saving for a macbook pro next because my computer is kind of outdated. I have just about enough money to get my macbook pro, the next thing on my list to get was a good pair of monitors. I wanted these things because he would have audio he would want to send me once in a while to fix up but I just don't quite have my own equipment yet.

WELL, recently he told me he could get me more work doing on set field recording. His company has the boom mic and lavs and he said that usually their audio guy just runs them through a mixer into the red one camera. Usually only 2 tracks, boom and lav. Now I had my heart set on the macbook pro and some monitors but now im thinking I should get a mixer and a pair of headphones to make some money immediately then i can go back and get my macbook pro. Now I don't even know where to start to find a mixer for this type of thing. I suppose I would only really NEED two mic pres on it to start out with and have it small enough so I can have it strapped around my waist. Any suggestions for a portable mixer for this type of use? Also any suggestions for a pair of headphones? Thanks for the help!

-John
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for a portable field recording mixer

I do a lot of field work and ususally use a 302 or 442(discontinued) from Sound Devices, or a 4:2 SQN mixer.

http://sounddevices.com/products/302master.htm
http://sounddevices.com/products/442master.htm

http://www.sqn.co.uk/index.html

The sqn:s has the best preamps and a great limiter, they are a bit heavy but you´ll get used to it.

The 302 is really light and small and sounds good. The only con i can think of is that the buttons are almost to small.

These are very robust mixers, so you should be able to find a used one in good condition.

arvid in stockholm
Old 12-20-2009, 01:28 AM

Sennheiser HD25 are the best I´ve come across. They block the outside sound, which is great if you´re in a noisy environment, and they can also provide some protection to your ears for the same reason.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM

There's a little more to location recording out in the real world than just having a small mixer and 2 mics, esp. where the RED is concerned. I'd advise you to do some research and maybe some lurking and asking over at the JWSOUND.net forum before you go out on a real job, especially one like a political spot that often has severe time and location constraints due to a candidate's availability.

Philip Perkins
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM

I know that. I have some live sound experience and studio experience as well. I graduated the conservatory of recording arts & sciences. I've interned and held the boom doing field recording for a lionsgate movie. My best friend who is doing these commercials is the director, producer, and edits most of them as well. He trusts me and he is the one who told me that all i need right now is a mixer and he will get me work. His company has the mics and everything else. Obviously once I get work, my money will be reinvested into more gear. I've also been doing massive research on this before going out on a job and this was only one place I've been to ask 2 questions. Thank you for your concern though.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Oh, Arvid, thank you VERY much. That is exactly what I am looking for!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

You´re welcome!

Perhaps a bit off topic for this forum, but here´s a few things to consider when you´re on location, especially if it is in an uncontrolled location, such as a reality show. Ignore me if you already know these things!

1. Always listen to the return monitor from the camera, if that´s were your audio is recorded. Otherwise; buttons can be accidentally switched, and you find yourself recording a line level signal into a mic level input, etc.

2. Keep your xlr cables in 100% control, especially the snake/multi cable between camera and mixer. This summer a very curious pony (!) got the snake cable round it´s neck during an interview with a horse farmer, and in a matter of seconds one sound engineer (me) and one camera man found themselves running their legs off trying to save their equipment.

3. Learn how to walk, sometimes backwards, in a crowded place with a 6 meter boom without hurting anyone.

4. Take your time finding the right place for the lav´s on the participant. Beware of jewellery!

5 Be fast and always alert.

I do see location sound/boom operating as both an engineering job, but also as some sort of strange sports genre. You have to be in good condition mentally and physically.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid.lind View Post
...This summer a very curious pony (!) got the snake cable round it´s neck during an interview with a horse farmer, and in a matter of seconds one sound engineer (me) and one camera man found themselves running their legs off trying to save their equipment...
Priceless!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
Priceless!
Yep! 10 years in the business, and still you can get such disrespect from a horse.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
There's a little more to location recording out in the real world than just having a small mixer and 2 mics, esp. where the RED is concerned. I'd advise you to do some research and maybe some lurking and asking over at the JWSOUND.net forum before you go out on a real job, especially one like a political spot that often has severe time and location constraints due to a candidate's availability.

Philip Perkins
This thread is why the Production Sound Biz is going down the drain.
Director, Producer, Editor.. with a friend doing sound. But it's shot on a RED!