Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 01:22 AM

Default Trying to connect TC electronics Finalizer 96k...

Hi Im Eric and I'm a complete moron!

Now that I've submitted, and admitted my deficiencies, please help me!

Situation: TDM HD accel/2; PowerMac G4 (1.25) mirrored door; 96 I/O digi interface; absolutely no attention
span or short-term memory ( I inhaled) (alot); and occassional flashbacks.

I am trying to configure my I/O setup, or find any reasonable way, to send my masters out digitally (via AES/EBU outs and ins) and return them to protools session, so that I may (or may not if I choose) have the finalizer's processing bounced to disc internally. I have connected the 96 I/O's AES out to the Finalizer's AES in, and vice versa. After that, I am stuck.

I realize I could've got the master -x plug-in from TC elec, but I didn't. I figured I needed more shiny lights to impress customers (and me). Also, I needed a few more wires in the back, and hardware processors just make me feel young again. I'm kidding , of course. I found a good deal on the finalizer.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm sure this can be done and probably without too much difficulty, but I cant figure it out.

Thanks in Advance,

The Egg
Old 11-18-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Trying to connect TC electronics Finalizer 96k

An example:

Use AES ins/outs 7-8 on your interface. Important that the in/out is a matching pair. Makes it so much easier

Go to your masterfader in PT and put it on as an insert (i/o 7-8).
Old 11-19-2004, 12:19 AM

Thanks Robert U,

I appreciate your reply, but i am unsure of a few things. First, my AES/EBU ins and outs are not 7-8 on my 96 I/O. Did you mean that I should route the AES/EBU to channels 7-8 in my I/O setups in a protools session? Second, as an insert on my master fader channel, I do not have the option of choosing AES/EBU, as an insert, only S/PDIF and the other channels. And lastly, assuming that I am eventually successful, is any time syncing or dithering necessary to make things jive together smoothly?

I basically would love to have this function as an insert, as that is how I am most comfortable using effects, but I am willing to try anything at this point.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, it is very cool of you. And if you have any other ideas that could clear this up I would buy you a beer if you're ever in Washington DC.

Thanks again, in advance,

The Egg
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM

Sorry... forgot that the 96 I/O only had 1 AES/EBU. Both 888/24 and 192 I/O have 8 AES/EBU as a standard.

No. I didn't mean that you should route them to 7-8. It was just an example. Don't know so much about the 96 I/0 but it seems strange that you can have S/PDIF as an insert and not AES/EBU. Sure that's not just a setting somwhere in the I/O setup in PT so you can switch between S/PDIF and AES/EBU?

If it finally works there are 2 ways to clock the thing.

1) Wordclock into the Finalizer. Connecting cable from houseclock into the finalizer. Finalizer should be set to "ext clock".

2) AES/EBU own clock. The Finalizer should be set to "clock ext di" in that case.

You are probably working with 24-bit sessions so you don't have to worry about dithering. Just be sure that SRC is turned off on the Finalizer.

The only dither that you need is if you're bouncing to 16-bit and you put that on the masterfader as the last step using one of the dither plugins that you have .

Good Luck!

-Robert