Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Plasma screen delays

i've heard various scare stories about big lags with plasma screens when syncing to audio - does anyone have experience of this?
Is it a problem when spotting with mixtures of viewing screens (TFT, LCD etc)?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Plasma screen delays

Follow this link:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=624583&Forum=

It will tell you what you need to know.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:44 PM

I'd just like to mention something about the plasma delay issue. I've been using a plasma for a few months now. Yes I was concerned about the sync. But here's what I've been doing with decent results. I contacted the manufacturer to get the exact delay (milliseconds or samples) and did the math to figure out a sample offset I could use with Time Adjuster on my master fader. Now, while someone may chime in here and say that's not really a great way to do it. It was simple, cheap, and dare I say - effective. I've had zero complaints thus far about any sync issues from video editors or clients, so I guess that's a good thing. (BTW, I work on mostly Commercial and Corporate projects)

However, having said that, I've also split my video so it goes out to a regular CRT as well. So for checking any critical sync points, I can simply bypass the Time Adjuster and check sync on my regular TV. It's a nice little "fail-safe." I should also mention that it seems to work fine even when adding the Canopus ADVC 100 to the mix, and yes I read a chunk of that thread (was it Richards?) about the sync tests... It's all a bit frustrating, but so far this seems to be working. I'd like to hear from others using Plasmas effectively, or if anyone has some suggestions as to how I might improve this setup, feel free...

Also, I've heard a better way to do this might be to insert a hardware audio delay in your monitor path (was a bit pricey for me at the time). Check the link Marty posted. BTW, Marty what did you think of NAB? Sorry I couldn't call you, got busy but I'll be in touch...
Old 04-25-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Check the link Marty posted. BTW, Marty what did you think of NAB? Sorry I couldn't call you, got busy but I'll be in touch...
dr sound replies:
I din't get a chance to go to NAB even though I had round trip tickets and a pass. I was "temp dubing" a Big Movie and it lasted 3 days so I couldn't make the show.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM

i do almost the same thing that amiller does. i found out the delay from the manufacturere and calculated the offset, but i use VVTR which allows me to set an offset like the QT non AV/mojo setup in PT. i just double-checked my offset using richard's SYNCHECK. and like amiller, i check critical sync, well all sync, on my CRT. if you saw my room, you'd know why it was a good solution for me.

i have had no complaints or problems. and...i am also a composer who has no problems with this setup bnecasue i am not imposing a delay in the audio.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Hi minister and amiller! How do you fellows deal with the sync issue when watching DVD or video tape? Do you run audio through Pro Tools for that also? Or is the delay not bothersome enough under those less critical circumstances?

minister, was the info you got from the manufacturer accurate?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM

Actually Richard it just doesn't apply to me. At least not at this point. I don't use a DVD player and if we use a VHS tape, we simply run it on a regular TV. That's very rare these days. To check the mix, I'm set up so that my alt ref speakers are directly wired to my CRT (playing out of PT)... Otherwise I'm sure the sync would drive me crazy. I was just reminded of how awful it is when at NAB and trying to watch a few minutes of a presentation on a plasma and that 2 frame delay was present.... Ugh!

BTW, I made sure that the info I got for what the sync offset was, came straight from the engineers who were in on the design process. Although it took a bit to get there...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Check the link Marty posted. BTW, Marty what did you think of NAB? Sorry I couldn't call you, got busy but I'll be in touch...
dr sound replies:
I din't get a chance to go to NAB even though I had round trip tickets and a pass. I was "temp dubing" a Big Movie and it lasted 3 days so I couldn't make the show.
Don't worry Marti-

You didn't miss much. Digi's presence wasn't that big, although the D-Command was great. It was kinda sad to see how shriveled the Euphonix, SSL, and Harrison booths were. Neve didn't even go. Apple Dominated the day by offering FC5 with some Sound Design upgrades to Soundtrack.
-Todd
Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 AM

cool
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 AM

hi richard!

like amiller, i had a hard time getting an answer...but i boiught it through a rep who was connected. was it accurate? well, i made a slight adjustment after i got your box. i would say that they were conservative in their information to me. of course, my igniter card has a delay on it as well, every card does...i think...so i have to add that in as well.

for the less critical dvd viewing, the delay doesn't bother me as much. i have a zenith, and the delay is a little less with this display. i am contemplating an inexpensive delay for dvd play back. but i'll tell you, i never show clients my work from a dvd, i show them my work form PT and the igniter, then hand them a dvd. right now, i am just checking things and watching movies for fun and research.

plasmas are a problem. but my room is too shallow for a large CRT or projector solution. i had a larger room and more money, i would do it differently. but now that i have it figured out, i am happy. if i had a mojo or av option, i'd be looking at other options.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash