Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-01-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Re: The ever so popular soft-synths

in general, i love the concept and use of soft synths. have you checked out reason yet? it totally rocks and 6.1 will have rewire built in, allowing you to use reason with no additional hardware.

i don't like sampletank. its too cumbersome and you can only use thier sounds. if they sold the sounds and gave away the sampler, then maybe it would be different, but that's just a personal preference...

>>Would the Digi 002 somehow enhance the sound?<<

no. you probably won't hear any difference going from 001 or mbox to 002. you'll hear a difference coming from a soundblaster, but not from another good audio card...
Old 07-01-2003, 01:59 PM

I most certainly have to agree with dB. I have been using Sampletank LE for acoustic drum samples and recently purchased Reason. While I can see that I will probably still use Sampletank occasionally, I think that when PTLE 6.1 with ReWire is available Reason will be my main source for samples and synths. It comes with about a Gigabyte of patches and samples on 3 CD's. You can get it for $199.00 online (at Musician's Friend) right now and get a free upgrade to version 2.5 direct from Propellerhead. It is bad to the bone!!!

(Thanks db!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--joe
Old 07-01-2003, 02:13 PM

Sample Tank is great. But at the moment the only way to get your own samples into it are with the AKAI® S1000/3000 converter. I'm looking forward to Sample Tank 2. The Moog Modular V is incredible. One of my favs. But believe it or not, thats all we have on the RTAS/PC side of things(also DR-008 drum synth along with the PRo-52 on the 002 side of things). Really sad considering the first soft synth to get things going was Steinbergs Neon way back in 1998. We're still waiting.

On the topic of Reason, I use it all the time. It has replaced all my hardware crap. (and I have alot of it being a keyboard player) It has even replaced my live setup for onstage. I cant wait for Rewire.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-01-2003, 02:29 PM

Native instruments is supposed to be coming out with an rtas pc version of all of their stuff.
Add rewire to the mix and PT should be more on par with the "others" in terms of soft synths.
I agree it is sad that there is only sampletank at the moment as a plug in.
Reason is lots of fun. I tried the demo along with a cubase demo and it works great with rewire.
You can use a second soundcard with stand alone versions of soft synths but why should you have to do that?
Everything in one box sounds better to me.
I know of one guy who has finally made a decision to buy a 001 over the "others".
He is waiting for 6.1 and the NI stuff.
But he wont wait long.
After all he is having fun with a reason and cubase demo.
Can anyone explain the real reason there is a lack of rtas pc softsynths?
Digi is the big guy on the street so one would think that they would have more than anyone else.
Digi says it is the 3rd party guys and the 3rd party guys say it is digi.
There is 3 sides to every story.
Who knows the 3rd side here?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 AM

Default The ever so popular soft-synths

What do you guys think about softsyths (especially sampletank).

I've used the sampletank LE and it sounds great.

Would the Digi 002 somehow enhance the sound?