Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-06-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Phantom power for Listen Back?

Just a quickie fellas -

I've got a Crown PZM out in the live room. I'm wiring it into the listen back input on the back of the Control|24 (next week). Do I need an outboard phantom power/mic pre for this mic input, or is phantom power supplied for this input already on the console? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Phantom power for Listen Back?

I don't think so. Try going into the utility function of the board, there's a monitor section which has a submenu for talkback, listenback, and I think "stereo" but my point is that I think that you can just turn it on or off there. I say this to you, with a LOT of "I'm not real sure if this will help" in my answer because I only know some about this because I just fixed a talkback problem that I've had a since my board was new. It was intermittent on my board AND I just fixed a loss of talkback on a Pro Control that had been out for two years the same way last Wednesday, simply by resetting the thing in utility mode. So, long story short, I know for sure that talkback and listenback can be turned on or off on these control surfaces, and unless there is a preamp or phantom button hiding somewhere on the back of the board with printing near it saying listenback, and I know I have never seen one on either board, I think you are in good shape. Best of luck and I hope that helps and isn't just a lot of blabber.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Thanks Scott. To be honest with you, being in "good shape" is having phantom power! I need it to power the PZM in the room. I searched through all the documentation with no luck. I guess I'll have to call one of the Oompa Loompas that work at Digidesign.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:53 AM

My pleasure,. Sorry if I didn't help any. But if you feel like it, you try the e-mail tech support. I know it's slower, but It happens to be run by a friend of mine I worked with for years, and he's probably one of the sharpest "oompa loompa" that ever "doompity dahh'd." When he used to be on phone tech support, all of us guys, up here in the bay area where they all work, would call at 8 AM just because we knew that we'd get him on the phone first. Just a thought, although ever so clouded as I've been up most of the night and I'm seeing those oompa loompas right now! Peace and best of luck!