Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Thumbs down terrible phone support experience regarding timeline placement

Well,

After dealing with CSA and being told that I should get an ASC and call phone support about the timeline issue we've been having (post 8.0.4cs2), I finally called tonight.

I waited on hold for approximately 35 minutes before having my call answered. I figured "no big deal", as I'm sure there are a slew of support calls right now.

"Conor" answered the phone, and looked into my existing case. After explaining my issues (48k sample rate, timeline placement problems), the response went like this: (I'm paraphrasing, but this is the message).

"Anytime you're recording where the incoming audio is subject to the H/W buffer, and particularly when you're busing or using an analog output, you will see drift to an extent. This is part of the issue with using the LE product as opposed to the HD product. I understand that this makes the product unusable for music recording/etc, but I don't know what else to tell you. This is not a known 'bug'".

After telling him what DTS has said on the DUC, and what the issues have been (which he's apparently not aware of), he indicated that whatever DTS says on the forum is the official stance. So basically, I got an ASC, spent 35 minutes on hold, and the response literally came down to "them's the breaks".

"Conor" also mentioned that he had no idea what was in the pipe as far as working drivers, or whether anything is being worked on at all. He indicated he has no information.

I feel a bit upset with Avid for a few things.

1) having phone support that is so obviously not competent, and that would respond in such a non-technical, wishy-washy manner.

2) putting this tech support rep in a position that he obviously doesn't have the technical skill or information at his disposal that is necessary to talk about one of the most common windows problems that currently exists.

So what's the deal, DTS? When can we expect a fixed driver? Why are the phone support people (which we PAY to talk to) so obviously incompetent on important issues?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is F'n unacceptable.

Am I wrong? Am I simply overeating? I don't feel like I am, because I have followed the procedures set out by Avid, and after jumping through multiple CSA hoops, called phone support as instructed.

I'm at a loss, and I'm trying REALLY hard not to fume... but seriously... WTF?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Default Re: terrible phone support experience regarding timeline placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
"Anytime you're recording where the incoming audio is subject to the H/W buffer, and particularly when you're busing or using an analog output, you will see drift to an extent. This is part of the issue with using the LE product as opposed to the HD product. I understand that this makes the product unusable for music recording/etc, but I don't know what else to tell you. This is not a known 'bug'".
This is definitely complete B.S.

1. It's a bug.
2. they know about it. (I can tell you this with 100% certainty)
3. it only happens on LE Windows, not LE on MAC, so his "explanation" about the differences between LE and HD is pulled right out of his *****.

I think the price of your support call carries forward until your problem is resolved, so I would call back and ask for 2nd tier support (or at least a manager). You're really not going to get anywhere with it, honestly; I'm sure they are working on the issue as fast as possible, but the only time that a fix will be ready is when a fix is ready.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-09-2010, 06:06 PM

This is why I'm hesitant to spend money on a technical support phone call. The fact that you paid $40 and are no further ahead for having talked to the guy is such a sham. They should give you your money back if they can't help you.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
This is definitely complete B.S.

1. It's a bug.
2. they know about it. (I can tell you this with 100% certainty)
3. it only happens on LE Windows, not LE on MAC, so his "explanation" about the differences between LE and HD is pulled right out of his *****.

I think the price of your support call carries forward until your problem is resolved, so I would call back and ask for 2nd tier support (or at least a manager). You're really not going to get anywhere with it, honestly; I'm sure they are working on the issue as fast as possible, but the only time that a fix will be ready is when a fix is ready.
+1 on Shawn's post. also just put in a complaint to your credit card company to reverse the charge. they'll want specifics which you can provide even tho they usually do want to you to go back to company at least once to try to resolve. i've used this method many times and it works

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM

This is something "not good".

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

I've been credited for the ASC.

It's just unbelievable that this would be the level of support that people are expected to pay for. It's totally bizzarre. I feel for the rep, too. It's clear he didn't have the knowledge or tools at his disposal to have the necessary information or be helpful at all.

Boo, Avid! Boo, I say!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I would've expected "Conor" or any tech support person that doesn't have the necessary information to help you to simply acknowledge that and perhaps tell you he will escalate and/or research it and get back to you. But for him to openly try to B.S. you is totally unacceptable.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Avid

Hang tight - I'm looking into this now. If you can give me until morning, since I'm not sure I can get anyone else at the moment as our offices have been closed for 3 or 4 hours now...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 AM

Lightbulb Re: terrible phone support experience regarding timeline placement

This is still the Digi mentality, Avid you need to root out this type mentality if this company wants to do well. I said this in a post with Technical run ins with Digi two years ago, they had the attitude that we as clients are doing Digi a favor using their products. Nonchalant attitude, this support response was just like I have received two years ago.

I am sure Avid wants to turn this company around, and this Nonchalant attitude has to go. I said two years ago, I said it then one day is one day that Digi has to smell the roses so to speak, well Digi name has gone, just the bad roots need to all come out and be rooted out.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hang tight - I'm looking into this now. If you can give me until morning, since I'm not sure I can get anyone else at the moment as our offices have been closed for 3 or 4 hours now...
Thanks, DTS.

Again, I'm not trying to whine, but if we're expected to obtain a code to call support, and this is what we get... THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

It would be really nice to get more information, so DTS, when you can, that would be great.