Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-07-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Randomise Midi without leavings gaps

Hi All,

I have a midi track that is triggering a bass guitar. The the midi notes do not have any gaps between them and are quantised to the grid. I am hoping to add a randomise percentage to add some life to it. Is there a way to do this without creating any overlaps or gaps between the notes so that the join between each adjacent note is moved as one. If they overlap with this bass instrument they turn into slides so I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Randomise Midi without leavings gaps

PT version?
What exactly are you trying to randomise? Length? Velocity? Velocity is easy, length a bit more difficult if not impossible. To keep the notes on the grid and change length and not have overlaps and not have gaps - I can't see how to do that. If you're willing to live with gaps you could select all the notes and shorten them and then randomnise that length at the same time.

From the description I'm guessing you're running the Rickenbacker Bass inside Kontakt 5?

But I would first randomnise the velocity of all the notes. See if that gets you what you want and then delve into note length.

QAPLA!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Try this... randomize your midi notes, then open Real-Time Properties and turn on Duration, select Legato/Overlap. You might want to use "write to track" so that it becomes permanent.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
Try this... randomize your midi notes, then open Real-Time Properties and turn on Duration, select Legato/Overlap. You might want to use "write to track" so that it becomes permanent.
Your procedure is wrong at least for PT 11.3.2 Duration change and legato/overlap is in 'event operations'. OP doesn't want overlap or gaps. We also don't know what the op wants to randomise.

QAPLA!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your procedure is wrong at least for PT 11.3.2 Duration change and legato/overlap is in 'event operations'. OP doesn't want overlap or gaps. We also don't know what the op wants to randomise.
Actually it was pretty clear as to what the OP is looking for. You can achieve this using either or.

After midi notes have been randomized, in Event Operations->Change Duration you need to select "Legato" and enter 0,000 so that there is no overlapping between notes when you hit apply.
Real-Time Properties->Duration->legato/overlap keeps it live, so one can just focus on randomizing under Event Operations->Quantize without having to go back and forth between "Quantize and Change Duration".

Is there no "Real-Time Properties in PT 11?
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
Actually it was pretty clear as to what the OP is looking for. You can achieve this using either or.

After midi notes have been randomized, in Event Operations->Change Duration you need to select "Legato" and enter 0,000 so that there is no overlapping between notes when you hit apply.
Real-Time Properties->Duration->legato/overlap keeps it live, so one can just focus on randomizing under Event Operations->Quantize without having to go back and forth between "Quantize and Change Duration".

Is there no "Real-Time Properties in PT 11?
Not like you're talking about. I already told you what is in (or not) in PT11.3.2 Real Time Properties is in PT11 but not with the functions you're talking about. But we still don't know what the op wants to randomise - it's not clear at all. Nor do we know what version of PT he's running.

QAPLA!