Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Default What's going on? Renewal is now DOUBLE the price?

WTF?
I just went in to renew and it's 199 USD plus the 10% au tax is 322 Australian dollars! For just one year of software that is not getting updated anywhere near as often as promised or any new features?

I can't afford that every year when this is not my business.

And i thought steinberg upgrade prices were bad.

What happened to the $99 renewal?

Well, I'm out. Avid just lost another customer.

If I pay that much it's like I am rewarding them for not adding folders which were promised for *2018* and it's almost 2020.. Still well below average audio quantise cause they refuse to write one line of code to put the radius setting back where it used to be (x form), and so on.

Not gonna fall for this BS anymore. I could stomach 100 USD a year to stay current but now with the AUD falling every month I just can't stomach double that.

Looks like I am looking for a new DAW again. Thanks AVID! And maybe think people would be happy to pay for it if you delivered the goods.

I have this horrible feeling that avid just think people will pay cause they are stuck in the pro tools eco system for their studio, and well, screw the user.

Not happy.

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 11-22-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Merged with existing thread on same topic.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Re: What's going on? Renewal is now DOUBLE the price?

It's summer all over again! We did all this some months ago... and every third thread ever since.

FWIW, I've decided to keep my Ultimate license current, and stopping my regular one, which is mostly a convenience license. $200pa is simply too much for that, I would have carried on otherwise. And there's no way I will ever switch to subscription.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
What happened to the $99 renewal?
Summer of 2019 just passed by
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Re: New Pricing

TBH, I was surprised they kept the reinstatement option. Previously, you had to wait 2 years to reinstate in order to break even with regular update plans. After doubling the cost of annual updates, waiting just one year and "reinstating" actually saves you 100 bucks. If there's a change to reinstatement, I'd expect it to be a price increase. Or maybe Avid figures that after doubling the cost of annual updates, buying a new license for $600 is equivalent to reinstating.

At the very least I think we can safely assume that if there's a change, we're not getting a break. lol
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I think you're confusing renewal and reinstatement in Avid's lingo. It's now $199 to renew a currently active annual update plan. $299 to "reinstate" if you don't have an active annual update plan.

The rumor is they're doing away with reinstatement next month. Guess we'll see.
Got it. I have never reinstated, just paid for a new version when i jumped from 8 to 12.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It's summer all over again! We did all this some months ago... and every third thread ever since.

FWIW, I've decided to keep my Ultimate license current, and stopping my regular one, which is mostly a convenience license. $200pa is simply too much for that, I would have carried on otherwise. And there's no way I will ever switch to subscription.
I didn't know as I am rarely here anymore and I just went to renew cause it was coming up in a month and I thought I should just get it over and done with in case I forgot later.

Sorry to hear others are annoyed about it as well..

DOUBLE is what gets me.. DOUBLE.

Absolutely, for the software and limitations on offer, $200 per year is a joke. I do have a perpetual license so it won't stop working, I guess 2019.10 is it for me.

It's embarrassing to charge that sort of money with what's on offer and the support that's on offer.. To me it's the same thing when I joined in 2015 bar some little upgrades here or there. Certainly not worth the cost at all.

I looked at ultimate but it's 720 USD per year to subscribe.. What I saw was the $60 a month option. It's not even a consideration.

I really do like the pro tools GUI and workflow particularly for audio clips, but this is the year I am starting to "just say no" to devs doing bad stuff.. For example, apple breaking everything again with Catalina and not being able to buy a new macbook without it.. I will not give up all my 32 bit plugins.. So now I am going to windows, and saving money on a windows laptop in a major way. I am also going to sell my imac pro as the windows laptop will be powerful enough to be my everything computer.

I am just tired of shenanigans. And that's what this is, shenanigans. I do not understand how the CEO isn't riddled with shame to double the price when they haven't delivered on promises and barely done anything to the software in 2 years. I mean the sheer audacity of it.

Bye bye, pro tools. Bye bye, avid.

if you ever have a sale for upgrade, or if there's a black friday upgrade price sale, I will consider it and give it one more year, otherwise, never, ever again. (I can never get back into it cause the penalty price is even worse.. so if I don't sub by january, this is absolutely it for me and pro tools).

I still hate the S1 gui, and Cubase 10 is broken on windows with more than 6 cores (12 threads), but I think S1 may be the way to go and just learn to live with the cluttered look. It's so powerful in comparison to pro tools.

See, Catalina and Logic works, but apple refuse to fix the automation timing bug that I have reported 2 or 3 times a year since 2005. Wow, 14 years.
Basically, if you have a track insert or audio instrument track insert FX that has latency, automation for ALL plugins on that track, even zero latency ones, goes out of time. That, and the fact that it's 2019 and you still can't simply choose midi input per track, was actually (back in 2015) what made me leave Logic after TWO decades! I couldn't deal with it anymore and PT has flawless automation timing. I would probably swallow the whole 32 bit thing if I used Logic, lose some AU's but know that no matter the OS or machine, Logic will always work. But they refuse to fix those fundamental flaws. Heck, even if they fixed the automation timing one, it would probably be enough.

Also not willing to pay $249 AU to go from Cubase 9.5 to 10.5.. they do do summer 50% upgrade sales so will do it Summer 2020. But Cubase 9.5 doesn't work in Mojave and up, and I am on 10.14.6 for a while now. In fact, it's pretty much my favourite mac os ever since snow leopard.

So, the choices keep narrowing.

I guess tracktion waveform or S1 on windows, maybe even samplitude.. I already have samp from a couple years back cause they had this crazy bundle for like 129 bucks or something.. i got it to get spectral layers on mac but it also gave me sound forge and samp on windows.. so I may just pay the upgrade price and start learning samplitude...
I have been mucking about in bootcamp win 10 a LOT, and I am quite used to it now. It's fine. It performs well.. fast and much snappier than OS X.
Before anyone says reaper.. just.. no. I don't think I will ever detest another DAW as much as I detest reaper.

Anyway.. as I said Avid, I would have sucked it up and paid 220 USD (200 plus the 10 percent, oh yeah, that means tax has doubled as well) if you made good on promises and brought pro tools to be competitive features wise with other expensive DAW's or even all the cheaper ones.

I think Avid may be taking the piss, doing a last hurrah and a "mega milk", I don't see pro tools surviving sad to say.. Since my post I spoke to the 3 other people I know in Melbourne who use Pro tools vanilla, and 2 of the 3 are dropping their sub when their renewal is due. One says he'll stay but we'll see.
I wonder if it's going to be that sort of reaction everywhere.

I kind of hope so.. I don't know what it will take to give Avid the kick it needs to realise that it needs to get serious about Pro tools and stop treating it like an abandoned step child.

(Avid, it's not 200 dollars for Australians.. currency is relative to where you live.. it's not easy to pay over 300 dollars per year in our local currency, to stay up to date with your entry level daw).
Old 11-22-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
See, Catalina and Logic works, but apple refuse to fix the automation timing bug that I have reported 2 or 3 times a year since 2005. Wow, 14 years.
Basically, if you have a track insert or audio instrument track insert FX that has latency, automation for ALL plugins on that track, even zero latency ones, goes out of time. That, and the fact that it's 2019 and you still can't simply choose midi input per track, was actually (back in 2015) what made me leave Logic after TWO decades! I couldn't deal with it anymore and PT has flawless automation timing. I would probably swallow the whole 32 bit thing if I used Logic, lose some AU's but know that no matter the OS or machine, Logic will always work. But they refuse to fix those fundamental flaws. Heck, even if they fixed the automation timing one, it would probably be enough.
Not to derail things too much, but does the shifted automation translate to bouncing? And does it still happen with "sample accurate automation" on (worth double-checking)?
Old 11-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I still hate the S1 gui, and Cubase 10 is broken on windows with more than 6 cores (12 threads), but I think S1 may be the way to go and just learn to live with the cluttered look. It's so powerful in comparison to pro tools.
I hated the S1 GUI at first too... for about a week. Now I'm used to it. It's forced me to learn new ways to work. But I can honestly say after using PT for 19 years, it didn't take long at all for S1 to become the easier program for me to use.

And the performance isn't even close. Every time I get a PT update, I think maybe this time they will have figured out how to get the performance on par with other DAWs. And every time I still have to keep my buffers at 256 samples or more. No live tracking with plugins! S1 doesn't even break a sweat at 16 samples (not even an option in PT!), and I've never had an audio glitch or crash of any kind in S1. With PT I have all kinds of workarounds to let the talent hear themselves without latency while tracking, and still have a decent sound to work with. With S1 I just set up the mix and hit record. It just works!
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-22-2019, 06:04 PM

I can confirm the info about the change in pricing. After dec 31st 2019, reinstatement won’t be possible, if you let your plan lapse you’ll either have to buy a new licence or go subscription. Funny as I received an email a couple of days ago from Sweetwater telling/warning me my plan was about to end. It was weird reading it as it was almost like: «*you’re a bad boy if you let it end without paying and you’ll be punished for this*».

Well, you know what, I won’t be punished at all as I’m not in a position where I have to have PT. I was just keeping the plan active as it can be practical to have the industry standard at hand. And the problem is not the 199$ per se, it’s what you get for that money(double of what it used to be), the value of it if you will.

I understand the people who are in a position where they need that software will be willing to pay for this(which is not much if you earn your living with it) but doubling the price for not delivering the goods, which was «*the new way of doing things will enable us to bring you more regular updates to the program*» must be a bit hard to swallow. I sure would find it hard to swallow if they got me by the balls. It’s like giving money to the burglar who just robbed your house...

Blink
Old 11-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Quickdraw, I appreciate your experience with Studio One.
I think that's where I'm gonna migrate to.

Last edited by hagstrom71; 11-24-2019 at 08:38 PM.