Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 12:25 PM

Default The \"Perfect\" HD Rig? everyone welcome.

I am about to upgrade to HD3 accel/G5 and could do with some help, If anyone has any comments on the questions below please chip in.

Thanks.

Do I sell my GLYPH Trip/Ait, if so whats the best storage soloution, is SATA fast enough, what about a Firewire Trip?

Do I need a 64bit chassis?

How Much ram do I put in the G5? (Im guessing 2 gig)

Do I need Apogee or are the 192 converters up to the job?

When are Digi going to stop taking Mix systems as Trade-ins?

Will there be PCI-X, or HD accel Core cards soon?

MIDI I/O or something cheaper that also has Midi timestamping.

Any other comments greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: The \"Perfect\" HD Rig? everyone welcome.

Here's what I'm doing (have done):

>>Do I sell my GLYPH Trip/Ait, if so whats the best storage soloution, is SATA fast enough, what about a Firewire Trip?

I kept my SCSI, but will move it to my OSX server (running on a dual 1.25) w/ an ATTO UL3D. I upgraded my network switch to gigabit. I can move data between machines at breathtakingly fast speeds. I've always backed up from a server (DDS-4), never from the protools machine. I will use SATA for sessions and FW800/FW400 for short term data storage. My scsi/glyph/kingston will still be useful to move files in and out.

>> How Much ram do I put in the G5? (Im guessing 2 gig)

My box will have 3 when it's delivered next week. I just bought 2 gigs of PC3200 512megs @ $88/each from Crucial.

>> Do I need Apogee or are the 192 converters up to the job?

I'm clocking the 192s with Aardsync II @ 48k. Sounds pretty good to me. Read the Aardvarksite for their perspective on clocking the 192. There is no need to clock the 192 faster than 48k since the 192 loop sync is 48k anyway (unless your external devices are 96k or greater - in my case, i'm clocking devices with a max sample rate of 48k).

>> When are Digi going to stop taking Mix systems as Trade-ins?

Don't waste your time with the trade-in. You are MUCH better off selling your existing hardware (eBay works great - plenty of buyers out there... your hardware will sell for the "going" price, even thought it appears everyone is trying to lowball you... the market determines the final price, not the seller or any one buyer) then buy the new stuff at the best price your dealer will offer.

>> Will there be PCI-X, or HD accel Core cards soon?

I don't care. HD3 Accel is awfully powerful. It works great right now.

>> MIDI I/O or something cheaper that also has Midi timestamping.

I bought a MIDi I/O because it worked perfectly out of the box and I had no config issues. Couldn't say that about the1st 2 interafces i tried.

Hope this helps...

jr