Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Avid

Default Re: Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
You must have the touch! i7 sandy bridge on windows is a mess right now. I've tried all the tricks, reserved more than half of the cores for O/S..same deal. I go into any of my other two DAWs, no such problem. I had cpu spikes on a fresh install of windows 7 with only PT 9 installed on my system. No third party plugs. Problem seemed to get worse with each update of PT 9 as well. No Bueno!
Rather than go on about this here, why not start a new thread with info about your problem, a Sandra report and specifics about your configuration per the instructions in the Help Us Help You thread, so that we have some actual information to do further troubleshooting?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM

I am facing the same issue here .. :) No need to post anything ... Pro Tools affinity with a MAC beats all the PCs around ... I am selling my PC which I spent over 3500$ (SSDs, RAM, Caviar Blacks, etc ...) for almost $2000 in order to buy a Mac Pro and solve my problem ... :) Cheers
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
I am facing the same issue here .. :) No need to post anything ... Pro Tools affinity with a MAC beats all the PCs around ... I am selling my PC which I spent over 3500$ (SSDs, RAM, Caviar Blacks, etc ...) for almost $2000 in order to buy a Mac Pro and solve my problem ... :) Cheers
Not to get drawn into this debate again, but you do know that everything that is in a mac, you can have in a pc? Same cpus, ram, etc etc etc. It's a matter of actually building the PC with non conflicting parts, and optimizing it and the OS to run pt, which relates to user attention to details, or lack of.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 AM

True Emcha ... with the only difference that windows 7 is nothing compared to Lion ! :)
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
True Emcha ... with the only difference that windows 7 is nothing compared to Lion ! :)
Or either of the Leopards for that matter.

But let's not start that war, lol.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 AM

This is more along the lines of PT10 vs. The Rest of the World.

I'm going to ask a quick question. How many of you EVER, IN YOUR WHOLE CAREER, go any higher than 15 VI or 70 Audio (even if you included subs and masters) in a single session?

I've used Sonar (6-x1) and even then I had to get extremely bored and start subgrouping by EQ frequency just to hit 100 audio tracks. This was WITH a full vocal compliment including overdubs. If you know what you are doing TRACK COUNT IS MOOT.

Next question. Have you EVER ran into a musical turd so bad that you had to clog your session with plugins?

I have, AND I did an A/B between Reaper/Sonar/PT 9 and PT10 (this morning)

53 Audio Tracks
14 Sub Groups
1 Master Fader
3 Virtual Instruments (Peavey Revalver, Steven Slate Drums, Toontrack Superior Drummer)

The initial session was done in PT9 and mimicked EXACTLY in the other DAWs. THERE WAS NO SIDECHAINING SO THAT IS MOOT.

Other than the VIs ONLY plugins from WAVES were used to ensure that "proprietary" plugins could not be blamed. The numbers below represent how many plugins remained just for playback to occur at a "glitchy" state. The same plugins were disabled each test.

Sonar - 98 plugins (once again ALL Plugins were the same from session to session.)
Reaper - 107 plugins
PT 9 - ALL 134 plugins CPU 86%
PT 10 - ALL 134 plugins CPU 74%

I expect to be burned at the stake for this post, but lets be honest here, I started life hating everything Digi/Avid stood for and now that I actually use the products I kick myself for not making the switch. It is the industry standard for a reason.

Why do you think Dunlop has a stranglehold on Picks or Zildjan and Sabian have a stranglehold on Cymbals? They are good at what they do and they do it right. YES the logic may seem confusing at first, but in the end the product is normally pretty darned good.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 AM

AND just so you know

Tracking Computer:

DAW: ProTools 10
CD Burning: Sony CD Architect 5
Mobo: Asus M3A78
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 3GHz
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2 1333
Graphics: Saphire ATI Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
Storage: 1 TB 7200RPM Seagate HD

Mixing Computer:

DAW: ProTools 10
CD Burning: Sony CD Architect 5
Mobo: Asus M4A87TD
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 T1100 3.3GHz
RAM: 8GB G-Skill DDR3 1333
Graphics: Saphire ATI Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
Storage: 1.64 TB 7200RPM Seagate HD

There you go. The tests were done on the mixing computer
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Dropping support for hardware like you suggest means that they would be dropping support of third parties hardware to.
I didn't suggest they drop that hardware support, that's something they've already announced.

Quote:
Pro Tools 10 will be the final feature release for Pro Tools|HD TDM systems
Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
192 I/O
192 Digital I/O
96 I/O
96i I/O
SYNC (original "blue")
SYNC HD (original "blue")
MIDI I/O
003 family
Mbox 2 family
Control|24
Command|8
Pro Control
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Finally good news!
But now I have a problem...
I'm ready to jump on the new system and I love what it will bring. BUT.
I am just finishing a really LONG cd recording and mixing that involve many collaboration and many recalls (one of the strenghts of ITB).
If I upgrade to the new HDX cards I will loose many important plugins that only are available in TDM and with that my recalls will be useless since I will not get back that sounds until the AAX version of the plugins will be available (and is not really clear when or IF that will be). That a major problem for me at the moment and that alone might stop me to upgrade, not counting the cost that will be needed to do a crossgrade of all my plugins (a minor issue but still a lot of money to take into account).
At the moment I don't see a lot of enthusiasm from plugin developers...
In fact some of them don't even think of following AVID in that step.
So my first step will be to listen to the new system and than maybe choose to just go to PT10HD (until all my plugins will be AAX ready) or see if I can close all my projects before the switching and forget about recalling them in the future. Not an easy situation for me to decide.
Any suggestion?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Max,

Is there something you can't do with your current set-up that you could do with PTHD10? If not...

If you have to/need to/must upgrade, IMHO just go to PTHD10 and continue to use your current plug-ins. When AAX is all sorted and you've made beaucoup d'argent from your current project, then update. But have a back-up plan just in case. Maybe keep the TDM system you have and set-up a new HDX system.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction