Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Hey Digi, can you please rip off Apogee and make your own Trak2 for HD?

I saw the other post and thought this would be great.

2 analog in/out
2 digital in/out
digi mic pre
digilink connection
1 rackspace
software controllable

simple, elegant... existing technology repackaged in a convenient way!
Old 01-30-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Hey Digi, can you please rip off Apogee and make your own Trak2 for HD?

The simple solution would be Digi helping Apogee with an ambus card for HD. This is old dusty topic.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Hey Digi, can you please rip off Apogee and make your own Trak2 for HD?

Quote:
Originally posted by clarpark:
The simple solution would be Digi helping Apogee with an ambus card for HD. This is old dusty topic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here here. Besides, the Trak2 is an amazing piece worth having Digi card or not. My advice is not to sweat Digi on this and just go get the Trak2.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:17 AM

I second this! and don't forget the headphone out.

uno, I've been asking for this kind of thing for awhile, no one from Digi ever answers. I was hoping for an MBox sized HD interface, for maximum portability. Dream on.....
Old 01-31-2003, 09:08 AM

Now that I'm thinking about it, whilst making a latte, what kind of strategy is it to introduce HD, the best audio DAW ever and then offer 2 a/d perif's -- one great 16 ch and one sucky 8 ch? It seems that they should keep the 192, dump the 96 and then do what Lars has been asking. When's the next product development meeting digi? Can I come?
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM

DigiGeek:

Agreed. The Trak2 rocks. The best solution for this (if you don't need 192khz) is to use the 192 Dig I/O and go dig out of the Trak2 into ProTools. That way you get all the beautiful Apogee sound and still get to record up to 96khz in ProTools (although for music that's going to CD I still recommend 88.2khz unless you can go 172.4khz).

Also, check out getting the upcoming Big Ben from Apogee. It's a 192khz master clock, format converter, and word clock distribution amp all in one (and they aren't charging a fortune for it either). Should be released around March or so.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:49 AM

This is like asking Apogee to put out their own version of Pro Tools. It doesn't make sense. Get a Trac2. It is an awesome piece of gear worth every penny.
Digi has years of experience designing DAWs and does a fine job. Apogee is light years ahead with regards to converters, analog front end and processing. Compare Apogee's Soft Limit and Soft Saturate with Digi's ripped off version and the results are obvious. While it's a tired old topic,
the bullet hole in Digi's foot (where it shot itself) has to hurt to this day.
The new Big Ben is a revolutionary clocking system coming out at a time when Digi has finally implemented PLLs.
It seems that Apogee must pose more of a threat than Prism because Digi seems to tacitly approve of the Prism or it would stop the reverse engineering. What's the message?
Old 02-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It seems that Apogee must pose more of a threat than Prism because Digi seems to tacitly approve of the Prism or it would stop the reverse engineering.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How could Digidesign stop the reverse engineering? Isn't that the whole point of reverse engineering...in this case, doing it without Digi's "blessing" because they won't give them permission to do it officially?

-Duardo