Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Doubling when tracking M32 through Pro Tools

Hey guys,

So I'm running a Midas M32 through Pro Tools using the USB card out. I am recording a microphone through a UA 4-710d pre, into the M32, into Pro Tools. When I have my mic Record-enabled in Pro Tools, I have a doubling sound coming through, because i have my Pro Tools out coming out through Aux 1-2 on the console (that's default).

I think what's happening is the mic signal is coming through even when Pro Tools is not record-enabled. So then when I enable the track, it gets doubled because it's coming out of the Pro Tools Aux as well. Essentially I want to be able to ONLY have the mic coming through when that track is Rec-Enabled ONLY.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I'm sure it's a simple routing issue, but i cannot figure it out. This will also apply for the Behringer X32 as well (same boards, essentially).

I can give more details or routing images if needed. I'm just super baffled at the moment.

Thanks so much!!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Doubling when tracking M32 through Pro Tools

What playback buffer setting? If its higher than 128, set it for 64(if available). If that's not it, then you are probably hearing both direct, AND playback(monitoring) from Pro Tools(try muting the record-enabled tracks)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-14-2018, 12:23 PM

I don't think it's the play buffer settings, because the track i'm recording i can still hear when the track isn't record-enabled.

I know I'm hearing double because I'm hearing the record-enabled track AND the playback track together. The record-enabled track comes through even when the track is not record-enabled.

So I need to figure out why I'm hearing signal from my mixer through PT when the track is not record-enabled or in Input-monitoring mode.

Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:20 PM

I use an non avid also . In the I/O setup menu change the default monitor path to a channel on your midas that you can keep free most of the time( I use 31/32). Also you can remap the output path using busses but that gets more complicated. The first way you should end up with the little headphone icon on the new output channel in the output name column.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:57 PM

Changing that didn't seem to have any effect on anything. I'm still getting the doubling and still hearing the signal come through even when the track is not Record-enabled...is there something I'm missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 3.55.57 PM.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:15 PM

I guess im not quite getting your routing . So the output from Pro Tools is on USB right? It will send audio to whichever channel has the headphone icon with the midas acting as the interface. Outputting from there to the midas aux is mixer routing correct? So if the mixer aux is set to fold back into whatever bus on your mixer that also has the channel outputs assigned from pro tools(say your main mixer outs)than it will be doubled. Since pro tools will mute the record enabled track once recording starts I don't usually worry about it doubling when the track is armed but the transport is stopped. But if it bothers me I just zero the fader since this is on the output it doesn't affect the recording. So a little more info on your signal routing I might be able to give more ideas
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Sure.

So the Midas is connected through USB to Pro Tools.On the Midas, I have the Aux In mapping through Card 1-2 (which is where Pro Tools playback is coming in).

In Pro Tools, I have my Monitor Out Path and Audition path set to Out 1-2. I've tried changing the Audition path and that didn't fix the problem. My inputs on the mixer are coming from the Local Inputs.

Does that help at all? I can provide more info if needed.
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:49 AM

Are you hardware monitoring thought the mixer as well as Pro Tools?

Pull down the fader on that track in Pro Tools. Do you still hear anything? A single undoubled signal?

If that is not it, start with a Pro Tool session as simple as possible, one track, no extra routing and get things working with that.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:57 AM

When I pull the PT fader down on the record-enabled track, if the track is record-enabled, the double is gone. If the track is not record-enabled, i still hear the audio, but no double (since it's not going through PT.

Not doing any hardware monitoring in Pro Tools. I have a bus setup through my mixer for my headphones send, but that's about it.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Default Doubling when tracking M32 through Pro Tools

Uh you don’t do hardware monitoring *in* Pro Tools, that’s the whole point of hardware monitoring.

When you pull that faded down... you still hear half of what was previously doubled? Then work out where what you are then hearing is coming from ... that is your problem. All the tools to find that are right in front of you. The first suspect should by you are hardware monitoring but think you are not. But easy to check.... disconnect Pro Tools or pull down the master fader going to the mixer inputs from a Pro Tools. If it’s not that then you have a routing mistake in Pro Tools... again start over with the most simple session, one track, no routing, no plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk