Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-28-2017, 05:40 AM

Default Virtual guitarist

Great sounding Virtual Guitars, but they only show up on the AUDIOSUITE section
On the many videos that I researched, it should work as a VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT.
How do I the Virtual Guitars to use as a virtual instrument and not as auditing Instrument.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Virtual guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmarzin View Post
Great sounding Virtual Guitars, but they only show up on the AUDIOSUITE section
On the many videos that I researched, it should work as a VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT.
How do I the Virtual Guitars to use as a virtual instrument and not as auditing Instrument.
After Googling 'virtual guitarist I found this link:
https://www.virtualguitarist.com/
And if I select 'iron' for example I find that they're supposed to work on au, vst and aax but no mention of whether that's aax32 or aax64. And Win7 or later and OSX 10.9.x or later.

You give us zero system info and that's important. What version of PT are you running and on what operating system? There's no such thing as too much info that can be given when asking for help here.

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks Jack.
I keep forgetting of informing the Operating system I'm on.

Windows 10... 64 bit.....Pro Tools 12.
My understanding of VST Instruments is that they should be in dedicated folders, when installing. Even so, Pt has picked up the Instruments, but not as a Instrument that I can load to a Track, like xpand etc
Old 05-28-2017, 05:01 PM

Some more important info for you.
I did some more tinkering meanwhile. The plugins are in the Audiosuite section and they don't work unless I pick an exsiting audio file to play. They work just fine.
But as mentioned before, my understanding is that they should work as an Instrument track.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:46 PM

More Info. The Instruments work as VST Plugins on Steinberg--Fruity Loops, just fine
Old 05-28-2017, 06:32 PM

The only format PT12 use is AAX64 bit so VST/AU/RTAS etc will Not work unless you have a wrapper like Bluecat MB7 mk2 or Patchworks for example. Even though there are VST/VST3 folders it is the OS that make those files so if you don't have a wrapper for the plugins that aren't AAX64 those versions will not appear inside PT12 software.

It works in Steinberg and any other DAW that uses VST (which is Steinbergs own protocol) but not in PT12 or any of the PT versions.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Jack - They work in AAX in PT12 as we tried them. I am not as impressed as the guys who writes reviews on their website.

SILK for example sounds more like a guy picking on a viola or something similar. A Harp maybe but not a accoustic guitar. The IRON sound way to electronic for our taste and songs. The artists we work with would never go for that sound of guitars but maybe if they are processed and tweeked to hell they would pass as a VI guitar but never a real "guitarist" ... no way.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The only format PT12 use is AAX64 bit so VST/AU/RTAS etc will Not work unless you have a wrapper like Bluecat MB7 mk2 or Patchworks for example. Even though there are VST/VST3 folders it is the OS that make those files so if you don't have a wrapper for the plugins that aren't AAX64 those versions will not appear inside PT12 software.

It works in Steinberg and any other DAW that uses VST (which is Steinbergs own protocol) but not in PT12 or any of the PT versions.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Jack - They work in AAX in PT12 as we tried them. I am not as impressed as the guys who writes reviews on their website.

SILK for example sounds more like a guy pockimg on a viola or something similar. A Harp maybe but not a accoustic guitar. The IRON sound way to electronic for our taste and songs. The artists we work with would never go for that sound of guitars but maybe if they are processed and tweeked to hell they would pass as a VI guitar but never a real "guitarist" ... no way.
Thanks for the info as the developer isn't clear on exactly what they support.

As to the sounds - I have yet to find ANY of these guitar libraries sound even close to a real guitar (amongst other things I'm an axe slinger from way back). The reason acoustic guitars tend to sound like harps is because harps are really a plucked instrument just like a guitar. Take a listen to a '12 string acoustic' sampled guitar and they'll sound just like the theme music for the Addam's Family TV show (which is mostly a harpsichord which is also a plucked instrument). Like you say naked they don't sound that great but processed a multitude of sins can be hidden.

QAPLA!
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 AM

Thanks Jack for your help. Looks like I will need to get a Wrapper for it to work on PT12.

More headaches.

I agree with you with the sounds. Technology is a long way off to emulate Real Instruments. Recorded Samples are close.

Thanks again

Fred
Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 AM

Hi Jack
sorry to be pain again, but can you advise why PT12 loaded the Virtual Guitarist plugins into the Audio Suite Instrument section [/B]and not in the Instrument Plug in section.

The Audio Suite section only works for editing Audio signals. Why would the Virtual Guitarist plugins work here?

Is this question more addressed to the Technical guys at Pro Tools?
Old 05-29-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jack for your help. Looks like I will need to get a Wrapper for it to work on PT12.

More headaches.

I agree with you with the sounds. Technology is a long way off to emulate Real Instruments. Recorded Samples are close.

Thanks again

Fred
Quote:
Hi Jack
sorry to be pain again, but can you advise why PT12 loaded the Virtual Guitarist plugins into the Audio Suite Instrument section [/B]and not in the Instrument Plug in section.

The Audio Suite section only works for editing Audio signals. Why would the Virtual Guitarist plugins work here?

Is this question more addressed to the Technical guys at Pro Tools?
Both questions can be answered by what Christopher wrote. You have to make sure the aax version of the plugin is installed in the proper place for your system. Take a look at this page and it will tell you where to look for the aax plugins: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/pro-tools-plugins-folder-location
You may have to do a re-install of the plugin.

As to why VG is showing up in the AudioSuite menu I can only guess it's one of those plugins that's not just a vi but can also function as an effect.

QAPLA!