Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 AM

Default Pro Tools 10, Lion, missing plugins

So I upgraded to Lion on my Mac Pro. I installed all my plugins, pro tools 10.3.7, ilok manager and so on. But PT won't load my plugins, either of them. Not the aax, the dpm, rtas. They are all in their rightful places, /System/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/plug-ins and ../Avid/Plug-ins.

So.. I thought maybe 10.3.7 had a problem. The last version I had on 10.6.8 was 10.3.5 and that worked beautifully. So I installed OSX 10.2

Nothing.

So I repaired permissions.

So I did the chflags nohidden /Users/myuser/Library/

Nothing.

So I tried deinstalling, reinstalling, cleaning up preferences and stuff with pref helper.

Nothing.

So now what. Is this Lion? I'm running 10.7.5

Anyone had this before?

My system:

Mac Pro 1.1
OSX 10.7.5
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Waves 7
Speakerphone 2
TL Space
AIR
Dolby Tools

All plugins are up to date and I had no issues with them in the past.
I even tried deinstalling everything but Pro Tools. Not even the default plugins are there.

HELP!

Note: My /Users/myuser/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins are empty. But even when I try to copy them from the System folder, they won't load.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Lightbulb Re: Pro Tools 10, Lion, missing plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsound_no View Post
Waves 7

All plugins are up to date
I beg to differ. Waves 7 is hardly up to date considering the latest release is 9. Maybe you have the last rev of 7? Even so, that's not up to date.

But I digress, if only slightly. Startup from the Recovery HD by pressing Command+R. When the recovery partition is booted, go to the Utilities menu and choose Terminal. At the prompt, type resetpassword and press return. This should give you a window where you can reset your password. The option you really want in this window is to reset the permissions and ACLs on your home folder. Select the your username from the list and click the Reset button. Then reboot, do a clean uninstall, then reinstall accordingly.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10, Lion, missing plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
I beg to differ. Waves 7 is hardly up to date considering the latest release is 9. Maybe you have the last rev of 7? Even so, that's not up to date.
I'm sorry. That was a typo.. Version 9 offcourse.

Quote:
But I digress, if only slightly. Startup from the Recovery HD by pressing Command+R. When the recovery partition is booted, go to the Utilities menu and choose Terminal. At the prompt, type resetpassword and press return. This should give you a window where you can reset your password. The option you really want in this window is to reset the permissions and ACLs on your home folder. Select the your username from the list and click the Reset button. Then reboot, do a clean uninstall, then reinstall accordingly.
Is this proven for this issue? Is this a Lion issue...?

Thanks, I'll have a try :)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 10, Lion, missing plugins

Quote:
Is this proven for this issue? Is this a Lion issue...?
This will fix the permissions on your home directory. It may not be the problem. Doing this will not harm the system.

Permissions issues on other directories (/System, /Library) are best resolved by the Repair Disk Permissions command in Disk Utility.

What are the permissions on the individual plug-in files? That may help explain why they are not loading.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
What are the permissions on the individual plug-in files? That may help explain why they are not loading.
Well, they are all 0755, så that shouldn't be any problem.

So I switched the disk with the Lion install with a clean 10.6.8 install. No problems, worked out of the box, BUT, as a sidenote. I installed it with a 10.6.2 install disk. And before I upgraded to 10.6.8 I tried to install PT10.3.7 AND I got this happy message that Only Lion was supported for PT10.3.7.. So.. What.. I've had atleast 10.3.5 on Snow Leopard before so I uninstalled, and installed 10.3.5. Same message. God damn, so I installed 10.2. Same thing, only Lion is supported. So I updated to 10.6.8. Message gone, install went fine..

Is this just a major bug, or what?

As for now I'm ditching Lion, Snow Leopard is a stable, nice system. When my new Mac Pro hits the studio, Mountain Lion and PT11 will rule :)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Lightbulb Re: Pro Tools 10, Lion, missing plugins

Quote:
I installed it with a 10.6.2 install disk. And before I upgraded to 10.6.8 I tried to install PT10.3.7 AND I got this happy message that Only Lion was supported for PT10.3.7.. So.. What.. I've had atleast 10.3.5 on Snow Leopard before so I uninstalled, and installed 10.3.5. Same message. God damn, so I installed 10.2. Same thing, only Lion is supported. So I updated to 10.6.8. Message gone, install went fine..

Is this just a major bug, or what?
My guess would be or what. Whatever check Avid coded into the installer is probably not getting an acceptable value back, and the error message coded into the installer is "requires Lion". There's no good reason to be running 10.6.2 at this point.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
There's no good reason to be running 10.6.2 at this point.
True. My install DVD however had 10.6.2 but with 10.6.8 upgraded from app store. I was only trying to install PT right away to see if the problem persisted on Snow Leopard.