Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Hybrid

Regarding the breath holding thing - I bought the Mach5 sampler v1.2 recently. I think it's about 18 months since they announced v2.0 and guess what? It'll be here - soon...
Old 03-15-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
"Digidesign Hybrid high-definition synthesizer"

What does "high-definition" mean in this context? Comparatively, let's say to Xpand?
I've been using and programming synths for a VERY long time and can recall most of the 'buzz words' in regards to synths for the past 26 years. HD in this context is nothing but marketing buzz word hype and that's all. Another 'trend' word until something new comes out.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 AM

High definition refers to Hybrid doing the extra bit in all areas of the synthesizer that leads to a better sound quality.

Some hard facts:

- As opposed to what you do usually, Hybrid updates all modules on a per-sample-basis. Usually, for saving CPU, envelopes e.g. get updated in intervals of several dozens of samples, which is one reason why many synthesizers can't recreate the "blip" of say the Minimoog. This feature leads to a very punchy, defined and alias-free sound character.

- Hybrid not only adapts to, but actually makes optimum use of any bit resolution / sample rate offered by the system.

- Because Hybrid is almost aliasing-free, it allows accurate sounding audio modulation (oscs->filter) without unwanted artefacts.

There's all kinds of bits and pieces in the guts, but these are the most important aspects. I guess though that hearing is believing, and you got to hear it.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Director - Advanced Instrument Research Group
www.digidesign.com/air
Old 03-16-2006, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the reply, Peter (and by extension Digidesign) - although I understand any marketing tries to strike a balance between simplicity and technical detail, I do think your points should be in the blurb! The phrase "Sample Accurate" is probably as vague as "High Definition" without a bit of context. I'll admit I'm confused about aliasing-free though - unless we're we talking Nyquist?

However, on your last point about we've "got to hear it"... How would you suggest we do that?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 AM

I got to have a look at it during Sounds Expo in London and it sounds great!

The UI seems as friendly and intuitive as Xpand! and it looks like it's got some unique features.

Loving the AIR team right now.