Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Post Module Question

So I'm working on a feature, and we are switching between reels constantly. We use a S6 post module to control our stem recorder and have a layout that loads up properly upon switching from one reel to the next. However, the linking feature, that allows you to set a certain paddle as a printmaster paddle that will start recording whenever you start recording with any other stem, does not seem to carry over. As a result, I have to redo this every single time we do a reel change, and twice, in our case, because we have two post modules for two operators. Is there any way to bake this setting into the layout?

P.S.: while I'm ranting, the link function in question is cumbersome and esoteric as all hell, and it's far too easy to accidentally reset the module in the process.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 PM
Avid

Default Re: Post Module Question

The linking feature was made so it didn't save to avoid the issue of loading up a session not realizing there were links and then accidentally recording over tracks. Linking on a console is always temporary (well in Euphonix land anyway). Could you create a VCA Master instead ?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:06 AM

Hi Eddie,

I am in fact using this function with a VCA. I’m basically trying to do the same thing I used to do with the Colin Broad PD-1. In the post module I have a bunch of stems assigned to paddles and then a Printmaster VCA, which has a surround printmaster track, a LtRt encoded stereo track, stereo DME tracks and other necessary tracks that are made from the stems. I’m using the link function to make it so that when any stem is triggered to record, the printmaster VCA makes all of its tracks record too. The same function is there in the PD-1 and it’s a set-and-forget thing, but when I switch reels with the post module it loses this and I have to redo it every time. Is there some way to mimic this functionality just using VCAs?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Avid

I think I misunderstand, you are talking about the master record link not the normal linking ?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I think I misunderstand, you are talking about the master record link not the normal linking ?
I'm talking about the process I need to go through in order to get the rectangle around the name on the post module paddle's display, which makes it punch in whenever any of the other stems punches in. The Link Master and Master Record mode.

Last edited by polyh3dron; 08-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Avid

OK, I'll add it to backlog...probably the release after next.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

Thanks Eddie.. Yeah, if the post module were to retain this setting when switching sessions, just like how it retains the layout, it would be a godsend.