Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Kris you might want to check with VocalVoodoo, I believe that he is using the P5K standard. As far as I know its a go.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM

If you don't need the wifi, or extra 2 SATA ports, I think the p5k is fine. Especially if you're not going to overclock. The p5k deluxe is the champ for OCing, but other than that, I would suggest the p5k standard.

Since I resolved my multple -9xxx errors, I've had nothing but smooth sailing for the past 2 weeks with the q6600 and p5k standard. (the errors were all related to a bad hard drive)
Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 PM

Actually I found that P5K standard are performing quite good.
As far as I know there is two different FW chips on P5K and P5K deluxe, and maybe the via-fw performs best? At least my setup gave me 295 dverbs on a P5K standard w/o overclocking
Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 AM

i think the absence of WIFI bein' integrated into the mobo is gonna provide better performance too, IMHO

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
i think the absence of WIFI bein' integrated into the mobo is gonna provide better performance too, IMHO

The deluxe WiFi PK5 vs standard PK5 would be an interesting comparison with respect to Dverb count and firewire stability
Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The deluxe WiFi PK5 vs standard PK5 would be an interesting comparison with respect to Dverb count and firewire stability
It would be good to do a comparison, My experience its that turning off the WiFi was good for 3-5 Dverbs, this matches Jamtimes results also. I doubt that there is any real difference between turning off your network card VS the wireless LAN.

Having said that, If you actually use a WiFi connection the onboard Wifi works about 50% better than the PCI card based stuff. I went from having a shaky/intermitant connection to a rock solid one. I dont think its work the price premium ASUS is charging , My main reason for going with a Deluxe WiFi was the fact that the heatsinks for the VRM ,north bridge and south bridge are twice as massive. Having burned out the AGP slot in 1 water cooled Rig from lack of airflow I was attracted the improved cooling potential. Personally I dont think the WiFi is a big performance killer. You can also disable it by right clicking the taskbar Icon and selecting "Disable" I also think not using a PCI add-in card reduces potential IRQ/Systemn resource conflicts. The only card I got slotted is a PCIe video card. Its a very simple rig.

Let you needs dictate the board. Keep it simple.

Having said that If it can be proven there is a huge performance hit/boost using a WiFi board I want to know.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be good to do a comparison, My experience its that turning off the WiFi was good for 3-5 Dverbs, this matches Jamtimes results also. I doubt that there is any real difference between turning off your network card VS the wireless LAN.

Having said that, If you actually use a WiFi connection the onboard Wifi works about 50% better than the PCI card based stuff. I went from having a shaky/intermitant connection to a rock solid one. I dont think its work the price premium ASUS is charging , My main reason for going with a Deluxe WiFi was the fact that the heatsinks for the VRM ,north bridge and south bridge are twice as massive. Having burned out the AGP slot in 1 water cooled Rig from lack of airflow I was attracted the improved cooling potential. Personally I dont think the WiFi is a big performance killer. You can also disable it by right clicking the taskbar Icon and selecting "Disable" I also think not using a PCI add-in card reduces potential IRQ/Systemn resource conflicts. The only card I got slotted is a PCIe video card. Its a very simple rig.

Let you needs dictate the board. Keep it simple.

Having said that If it can be proven there is a huge performance boost using a WiFi board I want to know.

the Q6600 is provin' to be such an excellent performer that i know i will go with the P5K Deluxe because of the WIFI feature, whether it takes a performance hit or not. i'd rather have the feature(s) and call on them if needed then not bein' able to and regret it later. but that's just me...P5K or P5B, with whatever features...it's ALL GOOD!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM

In general the stuff has gotten so powerful that the optimizations that we are doing are more to avoid potential conflicts than to eek out that last dverb, Go back about 3 years and read the posts of the guys whittling the actual windows services from 45 or so down to 14-17 just to pick up a Dverb or two. The truth of the matter is now you could probably mix a normal session now while burning a DVD in the background.....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM

I am mixing on the quad at the moment...

I also have internet explorer open with, a mic homepage, the duc, ebay all open, I also have my Outlook checking for emails every 3 minutes, oh and Photoshop CS3 with 2 x 43mb .PSD files & has been open since somebody at the label wanted me to check the contact details on some album art that has been dropped off & I forgot to close it...

Pro tools couldn’t’ care less... & I am hammering the waves SSL plugs, a lot of the waves Gold stuff as well as two L2007 & one L316 and 4 TL Spaces...

N
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Thats Exactly what I'm talking about Nick!

And its a nice change from the "Good ol' Days"

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page