Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 PM

Default PTLE & half-speed record mode; Click goes batty!!!

I had a keyboard player in today who was having a bear of a time tracking a particular passage so I suggested we try half-speed record.

I have a click track set up as a plugin on a mono audio track (I guess it could be an aux, but I would think it doesn't matter.)

I've got an two channel mixdown of the drumkit on a stereo audio track (just thought I should mention that the drums aren't a midi instrument.) The drums will be re-constituted from their separate tracks at mixdown; I use a stereo mix while tracking other stuff to simplify life.

So we've got a stereo audio track and a mono audio track, plus a stereo audio track for the piano (Synthogy Ivory, FWIW) and a MIDI track for the piano.

So I engage the transport at half speed. The audio is fine; but the click track is WACKO! It starts ok, then it drops out completely, then in a rush of clicks it comes back at more than double speed, but not in any particular tempo, then it's in and out for the rest of the time. Once I stop the transport, the click generates about fifteen more clicks before it's done. Kind of like a car that 'diesels' when you shut the engine off.

This is normally a very stable PTLE system, based around a dual 2.0 G G5 (2nd generation) with six gigs of RAM running OS 10.4.2. PTLE is 6.9.2. Output is through a Rosetta 800 (connected via ADAT lightpipe) It's a bit awkward when this kind of thing happens (rarely as it is).

So what gives? I've had weird click track stuff happen before, BTW, and I've posted it here twice but never had a single response. In the past, I've had the click freak out during normal 'record' mode, kind of the same thing, though. It'll stop generating clicks and then it'll spit them all out in a rush, then catch up and then do it again.

I'm gonna try recording the click track to an audio track since the audio seems unaffected by this thing, but it's really inconvenient to have to do it this way.

Anyone know what's happening here?

Max