Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Default Go-to Parametric EQs

Hi everyone. This is another one of those broad-stroke questions I've had over the past few years. My audio situation has improved dramatically to the point where I didn't really know how bad my system was until now. (new interface and noise clearing efforts, etc) I can hear things I never thought possible in there. Happy times.

So, long story short, I'm trying to find out if what I have is considered decent, or if I should invest a little green and learn a new EQ while having to re-learn EQ anyhow. Start off on solid ground, so to speak. I'm mostly looking for corrective type EQs, like parametric with tight Qs and such. Maybe I should throw in a Linear-Phase type in there, too? One of those, "don't know what I don't know" scenarios.

My main Parametric EQs
Blue Cat's Parametric EQ Pack
Avid's 7 and 1 band stock EQs
Brainworx Digital_V3 (and V2)(used sparingly to not get too resource hungry. Mostly to-busses)

I've test driven the Eiosis EQ, but was clouded by all the machine noises. I also have Izotope RX5 and use that often to clean what noise I can. (that's how bad it was before....)

So, what do you have, like and suggest?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Go-to Parametric EQs

My go to's are:

SSL X-Eq
Fabfilter Pro Q 2
McDsp

Hope it helps :)
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:17 AM

My current fav is HOFA IQ-EQ with the eq in Izotope Alloy 2 a close second.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
Avid's 7 and 1 band stock EQs
+1

Maag EQ4

Massenburg MDW EQ5 (when the Windows version gets fixed!)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 05-05-2016, 04:49 PM

Fab Filter
Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Brainworx bx_Digital v3, Meldaproduction MEqualizerLinearPhase and MAutoDynamicEQ, Acon Equalize.

Shout out to Maag EQ4 and Nomad Factory Film-tone, even though these are technically graphic EQs. Then again, Maag EQ4 has one semi-parametric band.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Brainworx bx_Digital v3, Meldaproduction MEqualizerLinearPhase and MAutoDynamicEQ, Acon Equalize.

Shout out to Maag EQ4 and Nomad Factory Film-tone, even though these are technically graphic EQs. Then again, Maag EQ4 has one semi-parametric band.

I completely forgot about Brainworx bx_3, a very fine equalizer
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 AM

Wow guys! Lots of suggestions. Thanks very much. I've got much homework to do.

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free. I will add to the list later, although it looks like plenty.

Would any of these be considered an every tracker type? Low CPU, good HP & LP filters, well suited for cleaning, cuts or subtractive uses, etc? I've got TONS of positive additive or analog tone type of EQs.

Alloy was not getting along with my system. Now it is. Perhaps the new interface's driver? Maybe PT 12.X fixed things? I am looking forward to when this comes out in module form like they did with Ozone.

I've always thought the BX_Digital V2 and V3 were resource heavy. Not sure where that thought came from. Perhaps the "Mix" version would be decent to use as an "every tracker"? (I have the Maag4, too, but it's not parametric, track cleaner type. Great sounding. I am such a Plug In Alliance and Softube junkie..... )

Here's my list to try of the ones I don't have now. Most from this thread. Some from research in this forum section before posting this thread.
Eiosis (hoping for a second test drive...first hindered by bad noise issues.)
DDMF EG Pro & LP10
Acon Equalize (looks extremely surgical, based on initial reading?)
Fabfilter Pro Q 2
McDsp (which one? I have the G-Channel)
HOFA IQ-EQ
Nomad Factory Film-tone*
Meldaproduction MEqualizerLinearPhase
Meldaproduction MAutoDynamicEQ

* = Even though not parametric....might be a good plug to test drive to get a feel for their plugs. I bought their 3-pack blitz deal when they needed to raise funds for ailing founder's health bills. (RIP)

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

I would say the DDMF stuff is more surgical than anything else on that list. I no longer have much use for the DDMF stuff because I'm more into Melda and Acon, but here's my take:

DDMF EQs and Acon Equalize are very similar. In fact, Equalize covers both the linear phase duties of LP10 and the minimum phase duties of IIEQpro.

A few differences though, namely Equalize doesn't have the switchable parallel/series topology or same selection of filter types as the DDMF EQs (this is what I meant by "more surgical"). Equalize supports more bands (12 vs 10) but doesn't have the multitrack control feature that IIEQpro has.

Honestly I like the DDMF and Acon EQs and I don't use any Fabfilter plug-ins. But I think most people would tell you that ProQ2 covers all this ground and more. So if you want to limit your purchase to a single EQ, that would probably be a good choice.

To your comment about Nomad Factory, they have some diamonds in the rough (Cosmos, Echoes, Magnetic II, the film-tone and music-tone EQs, All-Tech and PulseTech EQs, Magma, Blueverb) but most of their stuff is not really all that useful.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Take a look at the McDSP FilterBank also .... Not too pricey, sounds great and covers pretty much most of the eq bases