How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Euphonix Mix Connection Issues

Hi!

I bought a Euphonix mix around a month ago now, and unfortunately i've been having quite a lot of problems getting it to work consistently (when it does it's absolutely fantastic, but this problem is quite frustrating). I don't have any other ethernet devices so I attached directly to the one Ethernet port on my mac, with the supplied cable. When I first connected it seemed initially to work, but then I kept getting errors (I can't remember the exact wording as i'm not at my home studio right now) along the lines of "EU Control can't connect to Euphonix Mix" - It was also interfering with my wireless connection which has always been very reliable but started dropping out, and then the wireless not even being able to detect the connection. I looked online and saw support site and these forums that setting up a static IP would be the way to go. I followed instructions exactly and again it initially appeared to work, connected no problem - but whenever I switch to a browser window, the wireless displays that it is 'searching' for the wireless connection (which is just outside the door), and the internet goes down, and when I go back to Logic either the Euphonix Mix screen is dimmed, with nothing displayed and doesn't respond, or everything is displayed as it should be but the device doesn't respond at all - Sometimes pushing a solo button on the device will activate the solo in Logic, but the light won't activate on the corresponding track on the device itself, and the only solution is to turn off, reboot and start again (but it happens again very shortly afterwards). Sometimes i've tried opening Euphonix in System prefs, 'stopping' and reactivating EuControl, but again this doesn't fix the problem. I've tried having the wireless connection top of the list in network preferences, and Ethernet Port top of the list - Nothing seems to solve! I've also tried downgrading the firmware, again to no avail. And i've updated and am using the latest version of EuCon and firmware.

I thought last night that perhaps the only solution will be to turn off the wireless port and to see if that helps - and whenever I work just not use the internet; however I do regularly need to upload files / check emails so this won't really work and certainly is a very inconvenient solution even if it does solve. I'm not sure what else I can try, and i'm based in New Zealand (bought the Euphonix Mix from Thomann in Germany) so i'm very much hoping this is a software thing that can be fixed and I don't need to ship the unit back and wait for a replacement!
I'd be very grateful for any suggestions anyone has, or if anyone else is experiencing similar ongoing issues?

Cheers!
Mike
- - - -
iMac 27", Quadcore 2.8, 8Gigs RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.6, Apogee Duet, Euphonix Mix, Logic 9
Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Avid

Default Re: Euphonix Mix Connection Issues

Did you do these steps from the FAQ?

The following setup is recommended if you are connected directly to your Mac - a single Ethernet cable from the Artist unit to the Mac's Ethernet port, and in some cases where a Switch is used between the Mac and the Artist control surfaces.

Set up manual network location:

1) Go to Network settings. Launch System Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences...) and press the Network icon.
2) Unlock the pane to enable changes (lower left corner of panel - it will ask for your password)
- if you wish for this to be the permanent default location, then skip to step 7
3) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Edit Locations..."
4) Choose "Automatic"
5) Click the button with a gear icon and choose "Duplicate Location". Name it "Artist Direct Connect" and click Done.
6) Under the Location drop down menu, choose "Artist Direct Connect"
7) Choose "Ethernet" in the list on the left. (If there are multiple Ethernet ports, use Ethernet port #1. This is the default port used for EuCon. The default port setting can be changed in System Preferences > Euphonix)
8) In the Configure drop down menu, choose "Manually"
9) In the IP Address field, enter: 169.254.1.2 (example)
10) In the subnet mask field, enter: 255.255.0.0
11) Press the Apply button
12) Go to: System Preferences > Euphonix
13) Press Stop. Wait a few seconds, then press Start again. This will relaunch all EuCon processes with the new settings.

You will also need to set a static IP address on the surface. See documentation for detailed steps (User Guide section A-1).
Here is an example of the settings to be used with the above steps:
IP: 169.254.001.003 (increment the last field for each additional unit, make sure you do not use the same IP address as set in step 9 above)
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Old 05-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for replying DigiTechSupt - I did indeed follow these steps to the letter, but still the problems persisted.

Mike
Old 05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Avid

Hmmm. Does the same problem occur if you set it up similarly in a new administrator account? I'm trying to determine if it's a system-wide or user-level problem.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 AM

Hi -

I actually just tried setting up a new user account - And it worked great. A rectangular box popped up in middle of screen which I don't recall seeing before, saying something along the lines of 'initializing EuCon applications', it then recognised MC Mix right away, and no error messages. The wireless was actually still activated with my settings from my normal account using static IP and worked flawlessly too, alongside Logic (I tried running in 32 and 64 bit, both great). Logged out - back to my normal account - recognised the Euphonix mix, no error message! But oddly Logic wouldn't start up, kept "unexpectedly quitting" before the greetings screen where it loads plugins even finished - tried a good few times. So I restarted comp, and back to square one - when EuCon loads at startup from grey to green, and then very shortly after "Network Error. Unable to connect to the unit named MC Mix".

What would you suggest I do next, how do I narrow down what the problem is?! :)

Cheers!
And thanks for your help so far...
Mike
Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Avid

Let's try this first:

Navigate on your system hard drive to Users>your account>Library>Preferences and place the following files in the trash:

com.euphonix.eucon.plist
com.Euphonix.EuControl.plist

Then navigate to your system drive>Library>Preferences and put the following files in the trash:

com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist
com.euphonix.install.EuControl.plist

If that doesn't do it, I would recommend an uninstall/reinstall of EuCon - go to your Applications folder>Euphonix and run 'Uninstall Eucontrol', then trash prefs (per the previous info), restart and reinstall.

Let us know if that fixes it.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Hi, thanks again for getting back so quickly :)

I tried the first step but to no avail - So then did as you suggested uninstalled EuCon, trashed prefs, restarted and reinstalled. Again unfortunately this didn't work I actually tried a couple of times, just incase! But no joy.

Oddly though, I thought i'd just go back to my other login I created yesterday and now that doesn't work either - doing the exact same error of "Unable to connect to the unit name MC Mix", I then switched back to my normal account and it found the MC Mix no probs, and no error. However about 1 min after that the Euphonix application in menu bar just disappeared, and the Euphonix logo spread across the unit as it disconnected I restarted comp, and back to square one with the Unable To Connect network error!!

Looking forward to hearing your next thoughts...!
:)
Mike
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Avid

Ok - if you go to the Security preference panel and click on the Firewall tab - is it enabled? If so, can you disable it and tell me if the problem still occurs?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Hi - I've just checked and the firewall is off.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Avid

Mike -

I see you have a support case logged - in it we asked if disabling Airport allows things to work properly.

Can you tell us if that's the case here?

Thanks!