Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Broadcast Specs

Just finished a 6 EP TV show, only specs I had was to deliver in EBU R128, I used iZotope Loudness Control for a final check on the levels. Got this mail from the QC.

My lab warned me that on the QC for episode 2, the LRA (Loud Range) is noted as above the maximum authorized i.e 20 LU in respect with the norms CST 17 - R128.

The lab measured the LRA for the other episodes as well:
Episode 102 : LRA Reading: 21.0 LU
Episode 103 : LRA Reading: 19.8 LU
Episode 105 : LRA Reading: 21.1 LU
Episode 106 : LRA Reading: 18.2 LU

Could you please check on your side if the LRA value is really above 20 LU for episodes 2 and 5, and if so, can you please redeliver the ProRes files corrected for episodes 2 and 5?

Now, what is CST 17?, never seen that spec before, if I search, it comes up, but all in French, is this only a French spec in addition to the EBU R128?
It also calls for A -3dB True peak, while "normal" EBU R128 has it to -1dB.

I'm in Sweden btw, QC is in the US, show will be broadcasted in Europe.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Broadcast Specs

Most European Broadcasters have a production guideline that asks for LRA no greater than 20 LU for surround program and no greater that 15 LU for stereo program. -3 dB TP is not so uncommon either. most private german tv stations ask for that for example.

you should ask for technical guidelines of the broadcaster. they will answer your questions. The EBU guideline does not include a recommendation for LRA, but the stations guidelines always do.

To hit the LRA you could use low level compression with small ratio if you want to keep your work.

A LRA greater than 20 LU is too much for tv anyway. mho
Video Slave 4.3.477
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Broadcast Specs

Thanks, just found out that that is the french TV specs, and the producer got them, but I did not. I'll redo those episodes with some more compression, not used to european TV specs.