Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Exclamation New Avid Mbox clocking issues with Logic Pro 9

The Avid MBox has audio clocking issues running with Logic Pro 9.1.3 on my iMac at Sample Rates of 48 khz and 96 khz.

When setting the Project Sample Rate to 48 khz and recording an audio or instrument track, Logic Pro gives the error message "Error while trying to synchronize audio and midi ... Sample Rate 44100 recognized". When set at 96 khz, it gived the same error message with varying sample rates in the range of 87000 hz recognized.

I have checked within the Audio Midi Setup utility, and the mbox driver control panel to ensure the clock rate is set at 48 khz here too.

I should also mention that the Mbox works fine at sample rates of 48 khz and 96 khz with both Ableton Live 8.2 and Pro Tools LE 8.0.4. This problem is only exhibited with Logic Pro.

However, I have tried running Logic Pro 9 with other audio interfaces I own i.e. Echo Audiofire 4, Line 6 Pod Studio KB37, and Access Virus TI2 at sample rates of 48 and 96 khz, and all work perfectly. Also the built-in audio of the iMac works fine at 48 khz.

Since it works fine with Ableton Live and Pro Tools, I would assume this is not an actual hardware problem but a problem with the drivers, and a driver update will most likely resolve the issue. I certainly hope this is the case. Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

My audio production setup is as follows:
Apple iMac 21.5" core i3 3.06 GHz with 12 GB RAM
Mbox Drivers for mac osx version 1.0.18
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Logic Pro 9.1.3
Novation SL 49 Mk2
Access Virus TI2 (only connected via MIDI to the SL 49)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Re: New Avid Mbox clocking issues with Logic Pro 9

p.s. I forgot to mention that the Mbox 3 does not give any error message and works without a problem with Logic Pro at sample rates of 44.1 and 88.2 khz.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Hi,

After using the Mbox for a little while longer in Ableton Live and Pro Tools, I realized that the Mbox was defective as the pitch and tempo would change from 44.1 to 48.

I have returned the Mbox, and should get my replacement from Sweetwater in a few days. I searched around and found several other posts with others reporting similar problems, so I hope Avid take care of this soon.

Pity, cause apart from the fact that it doesnt work, I quite like the Mbox.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM

This is a 10+ year old Logic/PT bug, and is not specific to your MBox. There is a solution, but I can't recall what it is. If Logic makes a bad sound, toggle the latency box in the Logic audio prefs from 32 to 64 or whatever and hit apply. Bad sound will stop. Maybe to solve error message quit Logic , delete Logic prefs, restart Logic.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Yes this happened with Logic and my Omni as well, sometimes toggling the buffer helped, sometimes it didn't, and restart was required. Mbox 3 Pro at 44.1 with Logic so far so good.

TH
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Tom, you have an MBox3 Pro?!? I have one single question that is preventing me from buying this. I've asked everyone, including my Avid contact. I will buy the MB3 when I know....I would have bought it last week. Can you answer this:

MBox 3 Pro - Mixer Standalone Mode - Avid?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Hi all,

I am having the exact same problem. I have the latest MBox and in Logic all movie projects at 48 are playing back slow and slurred, yet the project in Logic and the MBox are both set to 48.

I've tried everything suggested above, including changing buffer settings and even completely reinstalling Logic but the problem seems to be the MBox. I just wondered if you could advise me on what to do next?

It seems that even if I have a faulty product I have to pay Avid for support? Am I wrong in thinking this?

Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks all,

Rou
Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

I sincerely hope this isn't the issue: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285122
I've only just started working with video and therefore never touched 48k before and so the issue (or fault) has only just come to light. Will Avid give me a new Mbox?