Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Midi Bounce to Disk file Missing Notes

Hello PT Community, I need your help.

Just today I started seeing an odd issue with bouncing a Midi track to disk, and when I reimport the file some of the first notes from the Midi track are missing. I have been bouncing this track successfully for several weeks, so I believe something may have corrupted and/or needs to be "reset". Here's what I've done to try and fix the issue, and nothing has worked:

1. Shutdown my PC to clear all memory.
2. Delete the notes and manually re-add them.
3. I've quantized the notes to ensure no overlapping.
4. Duplicate the track to a new track.
5. Create a new track and copy the Midi.
6. Reimport the Midi track from a backup.

After trying each of the steps above, I re-bounced the Midi track and the notes are still missing in the bounced ".wav" file. I have provided/attached a very short example of what is happening.

1. The screenshot shows the very simple Midi intro, a total of 8 notes.
Note: When I play the Midi track, it sounds correct, everything is OK.

2. I then bounce the Midi track to a ".wav" file, and 2 of the 8 notes are missing.
Note: The screenshot also shows the notes that are missing in the bounced file from the Midi track.

I really hope something just needs to be "reset", and any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Steve
PC Windows 10, Pro Tools 2018.7, 32GB RAM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRMidiBounce1.jpg (65.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Midi Bounce to Disk file Missing Notes

Note: I tried to upload the bounced ".wav" file, but that is not a supported file. Therefore, to summarize, the "red" notes in the attachment are missing from the bounced Midi file.

Thanks again for any help!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenengle View Post
Note: I tried to upload the bounced ".wav" file, but that is not a supported file. Therefore, to summarize, the "red" notes in the attachment are missing from the bounced Midi file.

Thanks again for any help!
Couple of things:
If you want to have an audio file played posters usually put the file in a Dropbox or another hosting service and put a link to the file in the post.

With regards to the missing notes try this:
shorten ever so slightly either the start of the missing notes or the end of the previous notes. The notes may be overlapping each other. Quantize won't necessarily solve the issue of overlap. Watch your grid mode when doing this so you can move in fine increments.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Thanks, I moved the notes ever so slightly at the end of each note, and that seems to have fixed the problem. But, I'm still confused as to why this was happening? For example, it has been Bouncing OK for weeks, and I have not modified that part of the track. Also, the Midi plays correctly every time, it's only when I Bounce the track does this issue occur. And, I tried copying the same part from a different part of the track, which does Bounce OK, and then that doesn't work after Bouncing it. Somethings odd, it seems like something happened in the first couple measures, and only modifying the notes completely fixed it.

Thanks for your help!!

Steve

Last edited by stevenengle; 09-19-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I moved the notes ever so slightly at the end of each note, and that seems to have fixed the problem. But, I'm still confused as to why this was happening? For example, it has been Bouncing OK for weeks, and I have not modified that part of the track. Also, the Midi plays correctly every time, it's only when I Bounce the track does this issue occur. And, I tried copying the same part from a different part of the track, which does Bounce OK, and then that doesn't work after Bouncing it. Somethings odd, it seems like something happened in the first couple measures, and only modifying the notes completely fixed it.

Thanks for your help!!

Steve
Some vi's don't play well with notes that are too close together or overlap. That it worked at all to begin with isn't unusual. I didn't say to move the notes but to shorten ever so slightly the note at either the beginning of the red marked note or the tail of the note preceeding it.

QAPLA!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Yes, by "moving" the notes, I meant that I shortened them ever so slightly and that fixed the problem - thanks again!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, by "moving" the notes, I meant that I shortened them ever so slightly and that fixed the problem - thanks again!
Thanks for the clarification. What vi were you using that caused the problem? Like I said there are some that go crazy and refuse to play nice with overlapped notes and some that don't care. One that drives me nuts is the Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass library in Kontakt 5. Someties overlapped notes don't play like you'd think, sometimes they give a slide from one not to the next, etc. From what I've read it depends on how much they overlap. By the same token the Kontakt piano libraries prior to the current version can have headaches with overlapped notes.

And my wife knows when I've been editing something like what I talked about - she can see when I have trouble reading something on the TV when she has no problems (and she has glaucoma).

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM

This is a guitar track, and I was using MusicLab's RealEight plugin. However, this was working fine for months, I have been successfully bouncing this track with no problems, and then two days ago a couple notes stopped working when bounced. The notes sounded OK when I played the Midi track, but they did not play when I bounced the Midi track. Fortunately, slightly shortening the notes resolved the problem without impacting the music.

Steve
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
This is a guitar track, and I was using MusicLab's RealEight plugin. However, this was working fine for months, I have been successfully bouncing this track with no problems, and then two days ago a couple notes stopped working when bounced. The notes sounded OK when I played the Midi track, but they did not play when I bounced the Midi track. Fortunately, slightly shortening the notes resolved the problem without impacting the music.

Steve
It's enough to drive one to drink (Jack Daniels thank you very much)

Sometimes it works, sometimes it barfs. When I get something like this I just fix the issue at hand and don't sweat why it happened. The ones that I have issue with are the instruments in the EWQLSO symphonic Orchestra sample library. Some of the instruments have ill-defined sample lengths (orchestral instruments will never sustain infinitely) and will play fine but when rendered to audio may cut out on long notes. So what I'll do in that case is watch if notes of the same pitch are not too close together and if they are I'll slightly change the note start or end or in some cases where the note is too long and sometimes cuts out I'll split the long note into smaller bits usually split at measure boundaries.

QAPLA!