Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Default All plugins and audiosuite missing in Protools 10.3.7 (Win7)

Hello, I'm running PT 10.3.7 natively on win7 on an Toshiba i7 laptop with 8gb.
I installed it clean then uninstalled restarted and reinstalled 3x (maybe 4 but can't remember since it's been a day long process). I'm running it as administrator but still see no plugins. No avid or 3rd party.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Re: All plugins and audiosuite missing in Protools 10.3.7 (Win7)

Have you tried deleting databases and preferences? Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this page.

Did you run the Avid Virtual Instruments installer?

What exact versions of Pro Tools was installed before? Did you uninstall it before installing the current version?

What third party plugins are installed? In what formats? RTAS? AAX-32 or AAX-64?

What files are in the plugin folders? (see http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...d-running.html).
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 PM

My laptop is pretty new and I recently restored it to it's new status last week. No previous protools existed.

"Have you tried deleting databases and preferences? Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this page."
I've been through that page many times throughout my versions of protools. Aside from reading 100's of pages, nothing came up in my search about this within the past year. There weren't any preferences or databases to begin with but I did delete those after my multiple uninstalls and reinstalls.

Did you run the Avid Virtual Instruments installer?
Yes

What exact versions of Pro Tools was installed before? Did you uninstall it before installing the current version?
N/A No previous versions

What third party plugins are installed? In what formats? RTAS? AAX-32 or AAX-64?
All 3 plus some VST. Is there a specific plugin or type that would affect the included plugins showing up? If so, let me know and I'll start with that.

What files are in the plugin folders? (see http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...d-running.html).
The Avid plugins, some t-racks, some soundtoys, some toontrack EZ and S2. I haven't gotten around to installing anything else yet.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post

All 3 plus some VST. Is there a specific plugin or type that would affect the included plugins showing up? If so, let me know and I'll start with that.
Something is just quite right with this answer.

VST plugins do not work in Pro Tools of any version (they can be hosted in other applications, but I doubt you are setting up to do that).

You said all three plugin types I mentioned... AAX-64 plugins will not run in Pro Tools 10, only Pro Tools 11. Some AAX plguins are 32 bit only, some 64 bit, some both. RTAS is only 32 bits and will run in Pro Tools 10.

No plugin file should stop other plugins loading, a bad plugin may not load, or it may crash pro tools, of course "should" is a strong word. Answer the the questions below, but maybe you will need to unisntall Pro Tools. Manually delete all the plugin folders and their content and start again (or have you already tried that?).

You should not install any third party plugins until what is going on with the basic Pro Tools plugins is understood. Don't even bother with the instruments installer.

Are you following the written installation instructions for Pro Tools? You are installing Pro Tools on the Windows Boot/system drive (normally C: ?)?

When Pro Tools starts up do you see it scanning/loading plugins on the splash screen?

What are you trying to do where plugins are "not showing up". Post a screen shot of your insert/plugin pulldown menu and what it shows.

Post an directory listing (cut and paste text from terminal) here of the exact contacts of your plugin folders (for both AAX and RTAS folders -- see the Pro Tools expert post link I gave earlier).

You have done all the standard Pro Tools optimizations (including setting the app to run as Admin?) see your installation institution or the optimization instructions under "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!". Do every last one.

If none of that helps also post a Sandra report here.

Darryl
Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Something is just quite right with this answer.

VST plugins do not work in Pro Tools of any version (they can be hosted in other applications, but I doubt you are setting up to do that).

You said all three plugin types I mentioned... AAX-64 plugins will not run in Pro Tools 10, only Pro Tools 11. Some AAX plguins are 32 bit only, some 64 bit, some both. RTAS is only 32 bits and will run in Pro Tools 10.
I know pt doesn't use vst but was trying to give as many facts as possible. When I install plugins I typically install all versions that it allows me in case I want to try a different daw. I also have the vst wrapper but haven't installed it yet so that couldn't have been an issue (but it explains why I would have vst's)

Also, I have 11 and planned to install that after pt 10 was working which is why aax-64 was installed.

No plugin file should stop other plugins loading, a bad plugin may not load, or it may crash pro tools, of course "should" is a strong word. Answer the the questions below, but maybe you will need to unisntall Pro Tools. Manually delete all the plugin folders and their content and start again (or have you already tried that?).
I didn't delete all the other plugins, only uninstalled everything related to Avid.

You should not install any third party plugins until what is going on with the basic Pro Tools plugins is understood. Don't even bother with the instruments installer.
The reason plugins were already installed was that, when I first installed pt10, I opened it to make sure it worked but didn't think to look for plugins because no previous versions gave me that type of issue. I closed it then continued by installing my other plugs. During the subsequent uninstalls of pt10 and reinstalls (3 or 4 times including re-downloading to make sure the file wasn't corrupt), I didn't uninstall all non avid plugins.

Are you following the written installation instructions for Pro Tools? You are installing Pro Tools on the Windows Boot/system drive (normally C: ?)?
Yes, I'm pretty fanatical about following instructions. This is a laptop so it's all on C. (btw, my basement tower is running pt10.3.7 fine.)

When Pro Tools starts up do you see it scanning/loading plugins on the splash screen?
It definitely does NOT. Does that give you any ideas? (fingers crossed)

What are you trying to do where plugins are "not showing up". Post a screen shot of your insert/plugin pulldown menu and what it shows.
When I start a session, there aren't any plugins when I try to open them in the mix insert area. I tried to paste an image but this forum window isn't letting me. Also when protools loads it says that the click can't be found in the plugins folder. (no other warnings indicating other plugins though).

Post an directory listing (cut and paste text from terminal) here of the exact contacts of your plugin folders (for both AAX and RTAS folders -- see the Pro Tools expert post link I gave earlier).
Aax are here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins
Dpm are here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\digidesign\dae\plug-ins

You have done all the standard Pro Tools optimizations (including setting the app to run as Admin?)
App is running as admin. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary beyond following instructions and ready about the install on this site beforehand. Keep in mind that my install on my older desktop worked.

see your installation institution or the optimization instructions under "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!". Do every last one.
I'm going to go back to this again. I've pretty much followed that since protools 6.7. One thing, isn't 10 beyond having to trash preferences? I thought that was no longer an issue.

If none of that helps also post a Sandra report here.
I went to that site and it looks a little shady and I wasn't sure which one to download. That's going to be a last resort.

Thanks for helping. I left the previous plugins when I reinstalled. I'll get rid of everything and try a 5th time.

Darryl
Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Yep sorry, this is not sounding good. Sorry to waste you time with some of those questions, you obviously are a little more experienced with PT than I was thinking you might be. We do see folks here installing VST or AU plugins and surprised they don't work, or looking for plugins under the wrong menu etc.

Deleting prefs and databases is a very important troubleshooting step, in the past, and still is. There is stuff there that exactly interacts with the plugins and you should always be willing to reach for that as a fix/troubleshooting step. It can specifically cause what you are seeing, that of course does *not* mean it is necessarily what is causing your problem.

That nothing is loading at startup is a bad sign. Definitely go for trash prefs and databases first. Make sure you follow the exact directions to do that for your OS. If that does not work I would unisntall Pro Tools and manually delete all plugin folders. Empty the trash and reboot and reinstall just Pro Tools and see what happens.

At this point I'd just try the above, but I did mean show here all the content of the plugin folders. Paste the output of the command shell DIR command here, e.g. run...

dir /s /l /q C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins
and
dir /s /l /q C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\digidesign\dae\plug-ins

If you don't resolve this, that may still be useful. Frankly if blowing the folders away and reinstalling PT does not fix it next stop is likely a Windows resinstall, but I'd hope you fix it well before then.

Darryl