Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Default Dragging a Clip to New Track

When dragging a clip to a new track of it's own, I often find my hand not being steady enough to keep it in the same spot (min:sec wise) while dragging it. Is there a way to lock the clip to it's original timestamp (is that the correct lingo?) when dragging it to the fresh track (or some other method that yields similar results)? I'm sick of having to record it's timestamp and then move it back to the correct position in Spot mode. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Dragging a Clip to New Track

When using spot mode, there is a dialog window that opens when you drag a clip into the edit window.

At the bottom right of that window are two buttons that that will enable you to choose between the original timestamp when it was recorded or a user-defined time stamp.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 AM

On Windows, pressing the start key before clicking and dragging locks the clip in place horizontally. I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent.
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 AM

If you need to drag vertically, you can set a marker at the beginning of the clip you will drag. Then line up the clip in its new location to the yellow line. This can be extremely precise, especially if you really zoom in.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 AM

If you put Grid on and in Clips and Markers mode, when you drag the clip to the marker, the front of the clip will soft snap to the marker. However, based on the OP, Mister IceWood for the win.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
When dragging a clip to a new track of it's own, I often find my hand not being steady enough to keep it in the same spot (min:sec wise) while dragging it. Is there a way to lock the clip to it's original timestamp (is that the correct lingo?) when dragging it to the fresh track ...
Select the clip, then hold the ctrl key while dragging to constrain horizontally.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Vertically in the edit window, like making a comp from several takes? Select the clip you need (you don't even need to separate it) and Copy. Then use ; (semicolon) to move down or the "p" key to move up to the destination track, and paste. This one has saved me a lot of time! (I'm on a Mac but probably the same on Windows?)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Select the clip, then hold the ctrl key while dragging to constrain horizontally.
Does this also lock the clip in place when moving it vertically, to a new/empty track? What would be the point of locking a clip in place if it's being moved horizontally?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Does this also lock the clip in place when moving it vertically, to a new/empty track? What would be the point of locking a clip in place if it's being moved horizontally?
Constrain horizontally, as in horizontal movement is constrained as in vertical only. Why not just try it?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Constrain horizontally, as in horizontal movement is constrained as in vertical only. Why not just try it?
Oh, right on. Thanks. I'm not at my computer to try it.