Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Midi Issues

[QUOTE]
You need to determine if the latency is caused by the lengthy chain of MIDI devices. I also notice you seem to have an OUTPUT (Motif OUT) plugged into a THRU (Emu THRU), which doesn't seem right.

I have the Motif plugged into the thru in the Emu because I want the emu to repeat the signal only, not process it. This stops the emu from playing everytime I play the keyboard when sequencing with the mpc.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:44 PM

I read about why it happens but I'm not sure if there is a solution. Maybe if u adjust the buffer settings or something. I know it works for getting rid of latency when i record vox. I have never tried it for MIDI because usually solo the track i'm recording since I do all my sequencing in the MPC. If I want to play along with the track I'll just skip MIDI and record it straight as audio.

[/QUOTE]
I use the buffer also to stop the echoing effect with vocals, but that will not work with midi. Its strange because if I record all tracks as audio they sync just fine, but the second I record one as midi (keys) and the other as audio I get this delay. Even when I Take the same sound source (keys) and record one as midi and one as audio simultaneously the midi still runs slow. And they are both using the exact same time source, because its originating frim the same machine.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:50 PM

This is an article I just found in the knowledge base in concerns to this problem. Do you think this could be the fix?

When I overdub audio with prerecorded MIDI the two are slightly out of sync in Pro Tools LE or TDM.

You need to set the Negative MIDI Playback Offset in the Preferences menu. Choose Setups>Preferences>MIDI. This capability is provided to compensate for the audio monitoring latency. If you are monitoring the output from your midi devices thru a mixer, there is no latencey. If however, you are monitoring the devices thru the Digi 001 the midi tracks will play slightly later that the audio tracks. The larger the setting for the Hardware Buffer size, the larger the latency.

By configuring a Midi offset, you can get your Midi tracks to play back slightly earlier by a specified number of samples, thereby compensating for the latency in monitoring qudio within Pro Tools LE.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:05 PM

that sounds like a winner. let us know if it works.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:24 PM

MIDI ports are either input or output, not both. A Thru port is an OUTPUT. So, either the Emu 'thru' port is different from a 'standard' thru, or it isn't really doing what you think it's doing.

[QUOTE]
Quote:
You need to determine if the latency is caused by the lengthy chain of MIDI devices. I also notice you seem to have an OUTPUT (Motif OUT) plugged into a THRU (Emu THRU), which doesn't seem right.

I have the Motif plugged into the thru in the Emu because I want the emu to repeat the signal only, not process it. This stops the emu from playing everytime I play the keyboard when sequencing with the mpc.

Old 10-11-2003, 08:25 PM

After I started to work with MIDI within PT I ran into the same problems with the latency of various MIDI tracks playback vs. Audio tracks... It was and still is very frustrating. The main problem is during the tracking of MIDI tracks; you need to make sure you use the same H/W buffer settings and MIDI Offset for all MIDI recordings (e.g. Piano track, percussion track) if you hope to have them play back in time with each other and the audio tracks after punching out. If the settings are different during different takes you are going to be spending a ton of time nudging things around to get them all back to the way you "thought" you recorded them. I just commit the MIDI tracks to disk once I am happy with the performance and sound and keep the MIDI track in case I need to make edits down the road.

Stuart
Old 10-11-2003, 08:44 PM

[QUOTE]
MIDI ports are either input or output, not both. A Thru port is an OUTPUT. So, either the Emu 'thru' port is different from a 'standard' thru, or it isn't really doing what you think it's doing.

You are very wrong my freind. A Thru port only repeats signals it receives from external sources but never locally from the machine its on. Its essentially a repeater. Where as an output will send all signals it receives, both locally and externally. Check it out.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 PM

You misunderstand my point. A MIDI THRU port is electrically an output, so it's never appropriate to plug a cable from the MIDI out of a device into the THRU port of another device, as the post at the top of this thread describes ("My Motif Out is connected to my EMU THRU")

See:
http://crystal.apana.org.au/ghansper...cal_layer.html

[QUOTE]
Quote:

You are very wrong my freind. A Thru port only repeats signals it receives from external sources but never locally from the machine its on. Its essentially a repeater. Where as an output will send all signals it receives, both locally and externally. Check it out.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:39 AM

You are right, that was a misprint on my part. Im configured a bit different than that. I connected my motif out to the emu in and the emu out to the mpc. My only problem is every time I pressed a key on the motif I got a double note. the keyboard internal note and the emu synth's note. I want to be able to control the emu with my keyboard but also have the ablility to use the keyboards internal sounds with out changing the connections every time I want to do this.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:41 AM

I think I need a midi patch bay. I dont believe I have enough midi ports do what I need to do with out running into control issues.