Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Does PT have a spectral view for special cleanup?

Before switching to Pro Tools, I used to use Adobe Audition and Samplitude. In both programs, I could go into spectral view and see the frequencies in colors and was able to do precision clean up, removed any random clicks and pops, etc. It worked so admirably well (especially in Samplitude) and I was amazed at the powers that single feature offered me.

Is there a similar thing in Pro Tools 12?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Does PT have a spectral view for special cleanup?

in a word, no

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 05-16-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
in a word, no
That's just so weird... No noise removal, no spectral view, no opening multiple sessions... I love the Pro Tools interface but I feel like I downgraded from the previously used cheaper software I had.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneRoberts View Post
Before switching to Pro Tools, I used to use Adobe Audition and Samplitude. In both programs, I could go into spectral view and see the frequencies in colors and was able to do precision clean up, removed any random clicks and pops, etc. It worked so admirably well (especially in Samplitude) and I was amazed at the powers that single feature offered me.

Is there a similar thing in Pro Tools 12?
Reaper just added it...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 PM

I used samplitude pro X before switching too. Still miss the comparisonics waveform view. I suggested spectral view as an option in Pro Tools a long time ago, back when I was naive enough to think the idea scale would make any difference :)
Funnily the Idea was voted down by some conservative PT users thinking waveform colors would look ugly...
Imagine to enable spectral view per track, or all tracks. What a relief and time saver to see the frequencies.

Any way, If you cant wait for AVID, get Izotope RX 6 standard, it's worth every penny.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
I used samplitude pro X before switching too. Still miss the comparisonics waveform view. I suggested spectral view as an option in Pro Tools a long time ago, back when I was naive enough to think the idea scale would make any difference :)
Funnily the Idea was voted down by some conservative PT users thinking waveform colors would look ugly...
Imagine to enable spectral view per track, or all tracks. What a relief and time saver to see the frequencies.

Any way, If you cant wait for AVID, get Izotope RX 6 standard, it's worth every penny.
Strange that people have opposed something like this. It's clearly a defect for a industry standard software to be lacking such an important feature.

Why the hell did we move away from Samplitude!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Strange that people have opposed something like this. It's clearly a defect for a industry standard software to be lacking such an important feature.

Unfortunately I moved because I had too much trouble with external audio interfaces on a PC, so I moved to Mac and it was much better. Then my employers required me to work in Pro Tools so I had no choice. I was devastated when the Mac version of Samplitude was cancelled. But I find my workarounds, nothing will ever be perfect, something we should be happy for :)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Pro Tools has had a vibrant 3rd party plugin ecosystem for decades. It's part of what made it an industry standard. And as such, Avid doesn't need to add features already covered by their partners. In fact, such things are frowned upon.

Other DAWs on the other hand, will pack whatever they can into their apps to attract customers.

Users simple need to do their research, demo software, and choose what's best for them. Easy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Pro Tools has had a vibrant 3rd party plugin ecosystem for decades. It's part of what made it an industry standard. And as such, Avid doesn't need to add features already covered by their partners. In fact, such things are frowned upon.

Other DAWs on the other hand, will pack whatever they can into their apps to attract customers.

Users simple need to do their research, demo software, and choose what's best for them. Easy.
Interesting justification. In other words... "We're popular. Other companies are making paid products to extend the functionality of our software. We don't have to do anything. We don't need to bother to provide an essential features which exist in software costing the fraction of the price we're charging."

Unpleasant to hear, but certainly understandable.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Interesting justification. In other words... "We're popular. Other companies are making paid products to extend the functionality of our software. We don't have to do anything. We don't need to bother to provide an essential features which exist in software costing the fraction of the price we're charging."

Unpleasant to hear, but certainly understandable.
Not justifying, just explaining reality and trying to give context.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.