Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Why Did You Go For 11 Now?

I'm not trying to start any friction but just seeing why you guys have jumped into it so early? Is this your main set up? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Why Did You Go For 11 Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2light View Post
I'm not trying to start any friction but just seeing why you guys have jumped into it so early? Is this your main set up? Thanks in advance.
Short answer? It's the future. If you're a PT user, you almost HAVE to get on the 11 boat early to work out the bugs and ride the AAX2 wave. In a few months, you'll be ahead of the game and if you're using a separate partition (and you are aren't you!?!?!!?) you'll be none the worse for wear.

The future is bright for PT and that's not something you could say for the last few years.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
and if you're using a separate partition (and you are aren't you!?!?!!?)
Why? 11 co-installs with 10.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Why? 11 co-installs with 10.
I truly hope so otherwise we need to redo this whole install now before we do too much work in "maybe the wrong place"

Please elaborate when you have time

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2light View Post
Good question.

My main reason was the offline bounce. I do long format stuff and the real-time bounce was killing me. Now I can bounce at 109 times real-time.

The new Avid Audio Engine is much smoother in operation. No more CPU spikes. 11 has much more power than I need but that just means it will work great with my lessor demands.

You can get the free demo to try out 11.

I'll be mixing with 10 due to the shortage of my Waves plugs not being ready. But I'll be tracking with 11.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 PM

As a moderator, the user community expects me to be able to answer questions about v11. If I do not have the answer, hopefully another moderator does.

I already know what I need to know about v10.3.6.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight since v11 is only qualified for Mountain Lion. Eventually Apple will stop releasing security updates for Lion. I'm shocked that they continue to provide security updates for Snow Leopard.

If I want to know what the gotchas are with v11, the only way to find out is to use it. I already discovered 2 issues with v11. One issue is just strange, and the other is a 100% reproducible crash. It pays to know the gotchas now so that when I upgrade from TDM-->HDX, I know what I am getting into.

I need to find alternatives for plug-ins that didn't make the AAX64 cut, such as SignalTools.

Most of what I work on in my spare time doesn't require much beyond what AVID includes, so I can jump right in and not lose anything critical to my workflow.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:33 PM

It works both ways though. The trial can steer people away or attract people to it. I was going to wait until the eleven rack gui was fixed to jump in, but after the trial I gotta say if it only gets better from here count me in!

Once you offline bounce, there is no going back.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM

I went now because I don't really have much in the way of plugins outside of Avid. Some NI stuff but I can ReWire with Reaper and make that happen if I need it. There are so many positives that if you can wade through the activation nightmare (glad I did pre-ordered and activated before the new iLok stuff came out) and the plugin issue, it's all good from there. I'm so tired of DAE errors. 9 and 10 were just so fragile on Windows 7, even with Avid hardware, whereas 11 has been rock solid for me. I haven't been in my Mountain Lion Hackintosh since I got 11 installed on Windows 8. If I need to go back, 10.3.5 is still in ML, but I'm not planning on it. PT just has the very best in workflow for my needs, or I'd have abandoned Avid long ago.

Can't wait to get my first AAE error.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM

I've been running x64 for years using the Cakewalk now Roland products for midi work. I recently converted to Protools which I think is a drastic sonic and feature rich improvement. I have however been missing the large memory model of x64 when dealing with multiple powerful virtual instruments. This version pulls it all together for me.

Another reason is AAX; an x64 plugin platform matched to the environment. VSTs have such a range of variables because other DAW companies don't always implement the full capabilities.

If there are not any show stoppers in PT11, Avid may have re-asserted themselves with this release. Glad to be along for the ride.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Years ago I wanted a TDM system but couldn't afford it. I stuck with vanilla PT for sooooo long.

The timing was right for me to upgrade so I went with PTHD Native & since 11 was included with v10 purchase, I took the leap.

So far I'm extremely glad I did.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O