How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 11:43 PM

Default Purchasing Lil Bro Pro Tools 10, need help on a few questions

Good Evening,

My little brother (20) is on deployment right now and he returns home around christmas time, as a welcome home/christmas gift I've decided to purchase him a nice little studio set up. So I need some help from you all who are more advanced and knowledgeable of these subjects.

I have already pre-ordered the new Native-Instruments Maschine with all the funny color pads and such (lol) and I am going to purchase him a desktop from apple and pro-tools, so my question...
What other items would I need to purchase in order to have all the items working together without any hitches? what items would I need to have installed within the desktop to aid in this?

sorry for my n00bish question, thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Purchasing Lil Bro Pro Tools 10, need help on a few questions

If the studio id for personal use only and there isn't a goal of making money in music than Pro Tools has just about everything you need. But if he is into electronic music then he will want samples and a midi keyboard. If he plays traditional band music with guitars and such PT has just about everything needed to get a good start. He might want a better reverb compressor and special effects like delay chorus flange tremolo ,things like that .
He would probably really like a good drum program like Steven Slate SSD4 or something similar .
He will need pre amps for each mic he plugs in into Pro Tools.
Pro Tools is a computer program but in order for him to use it he will need a interface to connect to the computer . The interface is what turns the sound from analog to digital or from digital to analog. some just say ad/da .
If you want to record a full band you need a minimum of 8 inputs on the interface. 16 inputs is really the real bare minimum for a studio. He will also need studio monitors so he can hear the music .

How much did you want to spend . If you have a price in mind it would help people on here to give you a few recommendations on those things .
Just like everything you can spend a little or a lot .
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 AM

Give one of the retailers a call, like Sweetwater who can put a package together and support it. The extra support might come in handy if this is your/his first system.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Give one of the retailers a call The extra support might come in handy
+1

You might be surprised at how much a stock Pro Tools rig can really do.