Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Default I need help setting up my keyboard

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I have an axiom 61 (1st gen) keyboard and i have made alot of searches about everyone saying that you should just use the usb cable into the computer and not the midi cables into the mbox but my problem is that my sound booth is about 20 feet away and my keyboard is in there so my clients can both play the keyboard and sing on the mic now I need to know how to set up my keyboard through my mbox 3. I have pro tools le 8 8.0.4. I already bought two 25 feet midi cables now I just need to know what to do next. I am pretty familiar with pro tools but stuck at this point.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Re: I need help setting up my keyboard

I would look at maybe powering the keyboard by using a powered USB hub(with no USB connection to the computer), and then run a single midi cable from the Axiom midi OUT to the Mbox midi IN(just to see if you can get basic function). You will need to go into Setup>midi>midi studio and add the keyboard. In that setup window, don't sweat the brand or model info, but start with making sure you have it set to using the Mbox midi input and keep all 16 midi channels selected. Once that works for triggering an instrument(I always insert MiniGrand on a stereo instrument track for fast midi testing). Then I would dig into the deeper stuff(for instance, to make the AXION transport buttons work, you may need the second midi cable to complete the loop, as wel as maybe needing to go into the Setup>Peripherals menu and adding the Axiom and selecting the port). You might also get away with using USB extensions, but that's another experiment

BTW, if the powered hub works to power up the keyboard, you might also be able to hook up 1 or 2 USB gooseneck lights over the Axiom(work light is a good thing).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM

when I go into peripherals it only says m audio key boards and the for send to and recieve what do i put and it automatically selects 8 channels. what do i do about that
Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM

also what is midi in and midi out when it comes to mbox control and mbox external
Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 PM

hey i tried doing what you said but it did not work now i am not sure if i am doing this correct so if you or anybody else can help me i would surely appreciate it thanks. and for all of you that are reading this i am tryna setup my axiom 61 (1st gen) to work with pro tools le 8 8.0.4 im not using usb i am using midi cables and if you want to know more just read the first posting