Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Hi to all .... I finally did it

I am a new comer, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and have been learning lots by reading everyone's posts for the last month, it seams like I have grown a bond with each of you, I started off by trying to get info on the 002, but with all the tips and fun, It became a daily (morning and evening) checkup, some times hours reading the search DUC.
I finally registered, mainly to try to get a hold of Phil O'Keefe, whose posts I enjoy as well ,......... but.....Phil.....please
Every day for the last week ,since you got your 002, I have checked the post at least 3 times a day, reading any thing that you wrote, waiting for these tests! I only record one track at a time and am looking for the best possible quality within reason, for recording. I do all the sounds \ sing, acoustic and electric guitar, keyboards, base guitar, Yamaha drums, ect...........mostly ballads, pop up beats, to emotion songs. ect.
I am basing my getting a 002, or sticking with my 001, all on your report! at first I wanted to go for the 96khz thing, but after lots of research (on the search DUC) I really don't know, especially 44.1 high quality (apogee, hedd) would beat out a average 96khz in sound any way.
Please post 44.1 001 vs 44.1 002, any diff.?
is a psx100 + 001, honestly better than 002?
I love all the plugins bundled in 002, and 96khz, but how does it really sound when it is all bounced down.
preamps on 002? ,like focusrite or like 001.
can we tell any diff. in the converters, or could I save the money and out gear it( avolon737 + psx100)or (HEDD 192 ), Or will the "lower quality" 001 break out box s\pdif input, ruin the quality of the in coming signal anyway or deteriorate it? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
I really wanted the waves plugins, I only have the pro tools and demos they sent, but if I want the best sound I am willing to give up the faders and portability of the 002 if I is leaning towards the 001 quality with little improvement. Or (fingers crossed) Is the 002 leaning more towards these bench mark units with very little difference.
am I just wanting gear for the sake of it ? is the 001 good enough! . [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I as a freshman have had great results,... but can or could it be even better.... and all within my reach....!
biggest Problems: deciding.
Greatest joys; cutting, pasting , cleaning, fading, editing within pro tools................ making music !! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Hi to all .... I finally did it

Esteban, HI ! Im in newport beach, orange county,
California. Not all that far. what gear have you used, that is on your wish list!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:32 PM

Hi Peter,I to have been waiting on some feedback on the 002.However i've been reading alot on the MOTU site about DP 3.0.........now that is what i'd like to have in pro tools it's almost a shame that pro tools is the industry standard compared to this.So i'm considering going with the 001 and run DP3 for my midi/sampling/sequencing.Thats if i can't find out if the 002 is all it's built up to be and can't be used with the new "mirrored" macs,but even then i think i'm sold on MOTU!!anyway it's nice to know i'm not the only one on the hunt. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 03:53 PM

seems like alot of poeple are waiting on some serious 002 reviews by the big boys. lol,

SOMEONE, ANY one....get testin [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 AM

I had posted before that I switched out my 001 for 2 MOTU 896's in DP and saw a BIG upgrade, but this was under DP.

If anyone has done the 001 to 002 switch, I'm sure we would all be interested to know the performance difference

MANOWAR!
Old 10-04-2002, 12:19 AM

have a Neumann 147 , direct into 001. I did that right!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 12:40 AM

Hey, Peter, welcome to the DUC!! I don't have any info on the 002, just wanted to say hey!

Live in Texas,
Evan.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 PM

Hey guys, I moved from a 001 to an 002 and after a few bumps in the road it's A.O.K. now!!! I'm just an everyday lil' home studio guy and I do projects for local area bands. Converters and pre's seem more fuller/open than the 001's and the ability to use the faders (hands on) helps out big time! You can select the flip switch and the plug-in you selected now has all its parameters knobs switched to the faders; easier to tweak!! I haven't done a 96khz session yet. At first I couldn't run a 22 track+ session from my old 001,but after tweaking my extensions it's no prob now. I'm on a G4/400 with 896mb memory and many separate audio drives. The Pro-52 soft synth is AWESOME as is the Sample Tank se. An amplitube kicks ass too, they all seem to be CPU hogs, but I just get the sounds needed and bounce em' to disc and bring em' back in! When ever I need to adjust a Master fader I just hit the master fader button and if its not in the bank I'm on it switches it right to one of the faders. It was rough on my pocket book and I had a few problems at first, but now I'm very happy I got it. And I've seen a thread on Digimax or Octopre...well I don't know about the digimax,but my Octopre is the SHIZZZZNIT!!!! To me, it's pre's and converters are way more better sounding than the 002's and the 002's kickass Man I can just imagine what those Rosetta's and RME's sound like!! Oh yeah I a/b an finished project I completed on the 002 against a commercial C.D. of the same genre of music and WOW!!!IT's pretty darn close!! It's taken me 2 years plus 24/7 to get to this level on sound quality and I'm still learning and reading everything I can. Get the 002, the 001 is sweet, but the 002 is SWEETER!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]