Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Default PT 6.4.1 failure with Mix core + AMD X2 4400+

Hello, my name is Dart.

I bought a MIX CORE + MIX FARM + ADAT BRIDGE 24 a few weeks ago in a studio in London. A little before I've realized my own computer's configuration. Then I ordered the protools 6.4.1. TDM on the belgian digi website (I'm from Belgium). I received it and I tried to install the software.

During the installation, the screen freezes at the moment to install the drivers. I'm afraid my computer's configuration is not compatible with the 6.4.1. TDM...

This is my configuration :

CPU : AMD athlon 64 X2 4400+
Motherboard : Asus A8N SLI PREMIUM
Graphic card : Nvidia 6600 GT Fanless (on PCI-express slot)
HDD : Hitachi 250 Gb on S-ATA port and WD Raptor 74 Gb 10.000 rpm on S-ATA
RAM : DDR2 2x1 Gb dual channel Corsair TWINX

In fact the chipset of the Asus card is based on Silicon Image System (SIS). That may cause some failures as explained on the digi compatibilities...

Or is it the architecture of the AMD X2... ?

Please could you help me to see clearer in all this ?

Thank's in advance!
Dart
Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Re: PT 6.4.1 failure with Mix core + AMD X2 4400+

Please could you help me ?

It has been hard to me to get all the components of the promix 24 + and I need that system to begin a small studio. In fact I don't know what to do. Should I change my motherboard (based on SIS) or is the CPU still concerned... ? Should I buy a G4 and reorder the PT 6.4.1 for Mac or create a new computer with a motherboard from the 845 family... ?

Did some users know the same problem?

PLEASE HELP. THANK'S.

Dart
Old 03-18-2006, 09:17 AM

Hi Dartans,
Mostly your on your own because your using a unsupported system. I bet no one has tested this config. If I were you, I'd get a g4. Really cheap now and they are supported. That means you can get help with the system when you need it.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 03-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Thank's a lot for your fast answer Brandonx1!

In fact I would like to know which piece of my computer causes that problem. The CPU or the motherboard... If I really can't find any solution then I will buy a G4 but the protools 6.4.1 I bought a few days ago for XP will be useless and and I will have to buy another PT for MAC. God...
Old 03-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Your Pro Tools TDM 6.4.1 for MIX systems license will work for both Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.3 versions. You would just download the Mac version from here:
www.digidesign.com/download/641

No previous installation of Pro Tools is required.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Thank you very much for your precious help!!! My last questions are :

1. Why is it specified "Windows" on my disc if it works on both OS ?

2. I don't know anything about Mac. Is the OS X 10.3 the last version of the OS compatible with a G4? I guess the older versions are compatible too with the 24 MIX ?

3. Could you tell me if in my case, the problem is due to the SIS or is there some feedback from users that use an AMD X2 CPU reporting some incompatibilities with that kind of CPU ? I mean if I'd change for example my Asus motherboard do you think I could use my dual core with the 24 MIX ?

Thank you
Dart

Finally I guess you advise me to buy a G4 in second hand and to keep my dual core for the Cubase ?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 AM

Someone could answer to my last questions please ? Thank you.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
1. Why is it specified "Windows" on my disc if it works on both OS ?
The $35 offer on the DigiStore is for either the Mac or Windows CD, and you purchased the Windows CD. But you can download the installer for Mac or Windows.
Quote:
2. I don't know anything about Mac. Is the OS X 10.3 the last version of the OS compatible with a G4? I guess the older versions are compatible too with the 24 MIX ?
Pro Tools 6.4.1 for MIX systems is the last version for MIX, and requires Mac OS X 10.3 or Windows XP:
www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/mix
www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/mix

Although Mac OS X 10.3.4 was the only version qualified with 6.4.1 for MIX systems, you can reasonably go as high as Mac OS X 10.3.8.

But you should avoid 10.3.9 with Pro Tools systems on Mac OS X, which was a "bridge" release adding support in 10.3 for some Mac OS X 10.4 applications.

Quote:
3. Could you tell me if in my case, the problem is due to the SIS or is there some feedback from users that use an AMD X2 CPU reporting some incompatibilities with that kind of CPU ? I mean if I'd change for example my Asus motherboard do you think I could use my dual core with the 24 MIX ?
I don't know exactly which board to recommend (other users here may be able to help), but if you change your motherboard to one without the SIS chipset, you would have a much better chance of getting it to work.
SIS chipsets have never been qualified with any Pro Tools system:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/xp/mix/min.cfm
Known Issues - Computers & Components
Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets cause system failures with Pro Tools systems
Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 PM

Thank you very much for your quick and precise answer! It's not always the same with other mark technical support...

OK. I guess I'm going to search after a G4...

Is there a user that work with a 24 MIX system and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU ?
I know someone that use it with an AMD 64 single core but no-one with a dual core... Maybe it could help somelse than me here, who knows...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:34 AM

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I'll give it a try: I'm using a Pro Tools LE system based around an Athlon 64 x2 4400 just like yours, but I chose a proven and reliable motherboard, an Asus A8V Deluxe; I know LE and TDM are two different beasts, but I think that your problem, besides the SIS chipset which I cannot speak of, could be caused by the fact that Pro Tools versions previous to 7 don't support dual core processing; Win XP has to be installed and configured to run on just a single core of the CPU to have a stable system; mine installed correctly, but Pto Tools 6.9cs4 (the most reliable and stable version so far) refused to run as it should untill I disabled one of the cores. After I did it it's been working almost flawless, although with a bit less power.
I'd give it a try before switching over to the Mac side, and if that will not work I'd go further by trying to change motherboard with one tested and compatible (I know the Asus A8V deluxe I'm using is compatible with HD systems with Athlons dual core).

Hope this helps

L.G.